I don't think they learnt much!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkwinston4

Field Bee
Reaction score
WBC/Smith/National/nucs in Horsham, West Sussex.
Hive Type
Smith
Number of Hives
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-18783400

Middlesbrough bee qualification creates buzz

A beekeeping course which has already trained 100 apiarists has secured extra funding to cope with its waiting list.

Students spend two days at Cargo Fleet Lane allotment in Middlesbrough learning the theory behind a healthy hive, then half a day in protective gear handling bees.

The course run by Grown in Middlesbrough Project has 40 would-be keepers on its waiting list.

Now it has been awarded £10,000 from the Big Lottery fund to run further sessions, as well as set up community hives in the town.

Catherine Boyle, of Middlesbrough Environment City (MEC), which also runs the course, said: "Bee populations have been falling worldwide so we are working to reverse that trend.

"It's been a terrible year for bees.

"Beekeepers are counteracting the dire weather by feeding their bees with sugar syrup so they don't starve, which is not ideal but at least will keep them going."

'Self-sufficient'
Unemployed IT technician Jon Anderson, recently ditched computers for a protective suit to handle a hive of thousands of drones :smash: during the course.

He has been out of work for six years, but recently managed to secure £5,000 charity funding to set up a community garden at Trinity Methodist Church, in Whinney Banks.

"I had the get up and go but there were few opportunities to prove it - my prospects were dire", he said.

As well as growing his own vegetables and flowers, the 36-year-old enrolled on the beekeeping course with a view to making his own honey to save money, and eventually to make some cash.

"Basically bees are vital to human beings, they pollinate flowers and if this process is interrupted it has a knock-on effect on nature," Mr Anderson explained.

"As part of the course we had to take a hive apart.

"Basically we had to blow smoke into the hive with a special device which makes the drones :smash: think they are under attack.

'Gorge honey'
"They start to gorge on the honey - a survival instinct in case they have to leave the hive and this calms them and makes them docile.

Students learn how to make their own honey
"We opened the hive at this point and found the drones had killed the queen bee so it must have been time for a new one - which was interesting.

"There were about 20,000 bees in there but I didn't get stung as I had my full body suit on."

Mr Anderson now has a few job prospects in the pipeline thanks to the garden work and his newly-acquired beekeeping qualification.

Lottery funding has also been used to set up community hives in Stewart Park, Saltersgill Community Allotment and Hemlington Hall Primary School, to get people interested in being self-sufficient making their own honey.

Chris Kemp, spokesman for Middlesbrough Community Learning Service (MCLS), said beekeepers added other strings to their bows during training.

He said: "The links to other skill areas such as woodworking for the hives, food hygiene for the honey and business entrepreneurship are very strong."

Is this drivel for real?
The monies will be of course .
Band wagons and the jumping thereon ?
Mind you ,the BBC and accuracy of reporting don't go hand in hand I suppose .
I wonder how soon laddieo has his benefits stopped due to being not available for work whilst attending his allotment and his bees?
VM

It seems his knowledge and communication skills will require a further injection of public monies.

PH

Remember the forestation money making scheme planting vast areas with carnivorous trees.........

Likes of Phill Collins invested heavily in the scheme until it was pointed out complete habitats were being wiped out.

Somebody eventually brought their attention to the fact that the trees were not in fact meat eaters but were merely coniferous.... bl**dy SUN journalists again!

Remember the forestation money making scheme planting vast areas with carnivorous trees.........

Likes of Phill Collins invested heavily in the scheme until it was pointed out complete habitats were being wiped out.

Somebody eventually brought their attention to the fact that the trees were not in fact meat eaters but were merely coniferous.... bl**dy SUN journalists again!

"If you go down in the woods today your sure of a big surprise " :dupe:
Sorry I couldn't resist :) Don't know of any carnivorous trees in the UK outside Kew gardens maybe ?
VM

well see, I always thought drones were the good ones:.)))))

yeah, right.

I think you mean journalists as a genre, not just the BBC.

Chris

I think you mean caste, class or type, Chris, but I disagree wholeheartedly.

Most of the journalists I know are hard working, highly professional and want to get the story right. They don't always manage it, but who does?

Sorry, I forgot it meant something different in English, it's often like that.

Otherwise having known many journalists I beg to differ.

Chris

Sorry, I forgot it meant something different in English, it's often like that.

Otherwise having known many journalists I beg to differ.

Chris

You're entitled to your opinion, but how many is "many"? Many of my colleagues and friends are journalists. As am I.

Ahhh, two corns in one night. I wonder if I can make it three?

However, they can't all be poor, I accept that there must be some that actually know their subject and take the time to research properly - mind that takes time and times money.

Chris

Students learn how to make their own honey

The number of times I have been asked the same thing! And the baffled looks when I have answered (the answer is, of course, 'No')!

I used to tell them I was really a 'honey thief' before explaining the idea behind most beekeeping.

Last edited:
Two days thats all they had, probably that would be 12 hours to know how to keep bees :eek:, that's more like an introduction course than a beginners course

I think you mean journalists as a genre, not just the BBC.

Chris

Point taken :) I've been hung out to dry , misquoted, elevated to the heady heights of being a expert :) Old archived pics used to back up articles I've supposed to have collaborated on etc. Owt to fill the paper when short on copy !
Good job it's only been the local brigade :D
VM

I've seen journos on the local rag print a quote from a local celeb 'taken at the airport as he arrived back in the country' after being wrongly arrested after a fracas abroad. - he was actually released from custody in Spain two days after the article was printed!! :) I have been wrongly quoted in the papers so many times it's unbelievable :) but then, not all are like that:)

why bother buying bee suits if they are hiving drones and making their own honey hmm :rolleyes:

Ahhh, two corns in one night. I wonder if I can make it three?

However, they can't all be poor, I accept that there must be some that actually know their subject and take the time to research properly - mind that takes time and times money.

Chris

That is often the problem – they are not given time to work up a story properly. But build good contacts and know your beat and you can get to the truth (or something like it) quite quickly. It's the investigative stuff that really takes time.

To grow own vegetables in UK needs lots of winter cabbage
What other vegetables you have in January?

Chinese-cabbage.jpg

Last edited:
To grow own vegetables in UK needs lots of winter cabbage
What other vegetables you have in January?

Chinese-cabbage.jpg

Brussel sprouts, leeks, swedes, spring onions, parsnips, Japanese onions, garlic and kale. Potatoes growing in bags in my heated greenhouse. Best of all fresh eggs from my chickens:sifone:

Cabbage is the devils own vegetable :reddevil:
:puke:

Latest posts

Back