I.D please from description only

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
Hi,
I was called out to a swarm in a roof. The bees? fly like honey bees, are a similar size to honey bees (slightly smaller) and all seem to look like drones, ie blunt bum. They have indistinct brown n yellow bands, by indistinct I mean they are so hairy they seem blurred.

Fooled at first I went to close up most of the entrances they were using and put a nuc box on top with oldish brood comb in it. Watching the only exit left I could see that there were not really any trying to leave only upto around 25-30 trying to enter. Thats when I saw them close up.

I had already noticed a lack of obvious pollen and one or two halfway up a tar covered telegraph pole a few feet away.

Began to think Bumbles but not according to Bumblebees Conservation website.

Any ideas? Suggestions? Please.......

Thanks for looking:.) Di.

please try and photograph them if at all possible. I have a neighbouring beekeeper with the most furry drones I have ever seen. They are positively hairy and unlike any drones I have ever seen but they ARE drones. So difficult to identify without a picture.... Best of luck and don't fall off the ladder trying!!!
E

or of course they could be masonry bees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you all:.) Will try to get a piccy Enrico. Didnt have my camera with me today (or phone).

Di:.)

Hi again, Just looked for red masonary bee on net, picture looks right but it supposed to be solitary. There was 25-30 trying to get in at the same time and before I closed the entrances there was a lot more coming and going. This is part of the reason i thought at first they may be honey bees. They were going into a porch roof under the the overhanging roofing felt. Does this sound right to you more knowledgeable people?

They are solitary but compete for good nest holes. You often get lots in the same area.
The holes you blocked will now contain entombed larvae. If mum can't get in to feed them they've had it.

Why did you have to block the holes? Why couldn't you have just left them alone? Were they doing any harm?

if they are masonry bees they are no problem. We have them all over our house. We fill the holes in autumn as best as possible. If they are in the roof though I doubt that is what they are.... Photo Yet? really want to see these anomalies!!!

They are solitary but compete for good nest holes. You often get lots in the same area.
The holes you blocked will now contain entombed larvae. If mum can't get in to feed them they've had it.

As soon as I realised, I unblocked them, I'm not that stupid, however I am stupid enough not to have mentioned that in my first post. I only blocked them with a strip of plywood with foam around the edges which didnt take much to put there or remove.

Latest posts

Back