Hygiene and National Bee Unit Inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was surprised to have my bees inspected and I never knew about it until a few weeks later when a guy at the allotment told me the inspector had been. I wasn't asked, I wasn't told, and there was no evidence he / she had been. Very odd.

I was surprised to have my bees inspected and I never knew about it until a few weeks later when a guy at the allotment told me the inspector had been. I wasn't asked, I wasn't told, and there was no evidence he / she had been. Very odd.
Are you on beebase? If you are, they wouldn't inspect without first trying to make contact

Are you on beebase? If you are, they wouldn't inspect without first trying to make contact
Alarm Bells sounding.

That doesn't sound like a bee inspector to me. Very strange!
Did the people who told you that it was a bee inspector not know if it was male or female?

Maybe some toe rag of a beek was after a cheap queen or sizing up the quality of the colony ?
A little bit worrying !!!!

If it had been an SBI a record or a result would be added to your apiary record account on line to say when they last visited.

Last edited:
Have a look on your Beebase records, if it was a bee inspector it would have been recorded but that would also tell the inspector whose hives they were and they would have been in touch. Do you know your local inspectors? Ask them.
They can inspect any hives if they can’t trace whose they are, but I would have thought someone on the allotments would have been able to tell them who you are. I’d be a bit more suspicious myself and think someone was looking for something to acquire. Is there cctv there? Can you put something up?

All the regional inspectors are listed on Beebase. Beebase - Beekeeping information resource for Beekeepers if you can remember the exact date and there's nothing on your record / you don't have one then give him or her a call.

could be inspectors had found EFB in your area, I know of a time 3 years back where they found EFB in an apiary and on the way to the next nearby apiary had a look round and found a couple of unregistered hives and went and checked them too, but did contact the owner

Latest posts

Back