Humanely killing bees inside a tree.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Young

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I hate having to ask this...
Is there a humane way to kill bees which are living in a felled tree which is going to be cut up and removed? It is not possible to retain the trunk in which they live and the works cannot be delayed.

I hate having to ask this...
Is there a humane way to kill bees which are living in a felled tree which is going to be cut up and removed? It is not possible to retain the trunk in which they live and the works cannot be delayed.

Shame it cant be saved?
Probably not practicable with a tree but 'normal' way with a hive is to seal and add a cup of petrol under roof
If this cant be done, then call in a pest control company and they will sort out.
S

Put you beesuit on
Light the smoker and shake them into a box... all of them including the queen!

At least they woulds have a chance

Bit like shooting a kitten because it's stuck up a tree!

Nadelik Lowen

I had this exact scenario in the past and managed to save them.

Gear up in your bee suit. Locate the entrance to the trunk and mark it on the grass with something that you arent going to lose. Line marking spray would be good.

Make a full diameter cut directly where the entrance is.

If you are lucky you will split the cavity

Get a brood box, floor and roof and remove as many combs as you can and bunjee the combs into the frames, then once you have got as many bees and combs as you can in the hive, place the hive as close as you can to where the original entrance hole was.

Pack up and leave it for a couple of days.

If you come back and they are all the hive they are good to go.

If they have absconded then you likely missed the queen.

You will be able to tell within 3 days as they will start emergency cells if you missed her.

Have a go. It could be a great colony

Or if you dont/cant do the above then get someone to remove it. Plenty of beekeepers would jump on it given the chance for free bees ;)

but 'normal' way with a hive is to seal and add a cup of petrol under roof

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

You'll find the burns unit is full of those who discovered just how dangerous that really is!

Petrol, Mixed in air is EXPLOSIVE! :eek:

:hairpull::hairpull::hairpull:

You'll find the burns unit is full of those who discovered just how dangerous that really is!

Petrol, Mixed in air is EXPLOSIVE! :eek:

So how do you think a bee inspector deals with a full colony that needs disposing off?

Petrol air mixture is also very good at rapidly reducing air in a sealed hive and disposing of a colony quickly!

I doubt any beekeeper has been admitted to hospital after disposing of a colony by using this method, if they have then I would suggest they shouldn't be keeping bees in the first place as they are clearly an idiot.

The 'normal ' way to dispose of a colony is a cup of petrol within a sealed hive.

The mixture is to allow the petrol fumes to take air out of hive not to ignite them!!!!
Not that I have tried but try Google as is common on this forum, I am sure you will soon discover how to do this safely if in any doubt.

S

I had this exact scenario in the past and managed to save them.

Gear up in your bee suit. Locate the entrance to the trunk and mark it on the grass with something that you arent going to lose. Line marking spray would be good.

Make a full diameter cut directly where the entrance is.

If you are lucky you will split the cavity

Get a brood box, floor and roof and remove as many combs as you can and bunjee the combs into the frames, then once you have got as many bees and combs as you can in the hive, place the hive as close as you can to where the original entrance hole was.

Pack up and leave it for a couple of days.

If you come back and they are all the hive they are good to go.

If they have absconded then you likely missed the queen.

You will be able to tell within 3 days as they will start emergency cells if you missed her.

Have a go. It could be a great colony

Good advice when the bees are active , but not this time of year IMHO
S

Good advice when the bees are active , but not this time of year IMHO
S
Ah fair point but if it's that vs petrol id say it's worth a go.

Saying that, 14c here today - all colonies flying and collecting water. looked like a beautiful summer's day

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Trees come in many sizes, which is why I asked for more info. Poly Hive had a tree colony recently and still in the tree (which was now a log sealed top and bottom with ply)
Seal the entrance and saw above and below if possible.

Ah fair point but if it's that vs petrol id say it's worth a go.

Saying that, 14c here today - all colonies flying and collecting water. looked like a beautiful summer's day

We also reached temps close to that here too but only for an hour or two around midday. Temperature more like 4c now.
On saying that, if the OP wants to try and can spare to have equipment tied up, they may well prove me wrong, hope it’s done and they do
S

May i ask where in Kent ?

It is a couple of miles outside of Goudhurst.

It may turn out that I now own a section of Tree Trunk with bees in it. It's on a construction site and they will not let anyone unqualified or without the correct plethora of training certification use power tools on site. The H&S expectations alone sound like a nightmare... I suggested that they could block the entrance, cut generously above and generously below and provided they miss the colony they can deliver as big a length of trunk as they can transport directly to my Apiary.

For now they are leaving it where it is...

Last edited:
That sounds like a better result all round . Keep us posted with pics if you can [emoji106]

Not an unreasonable situation. Most significant construction operations adopt the CITB card scheme based on certification and various cards CSCS CPCS UKPOR etc

you can waste time googling that lot or emphasise that if you were responsible under H&S legislation for running a site that the chap operating a piece of machinery was competent to do so and not endanger others occupying the site.

This extends to a chappie with a chainsaw who intends to sever parts of a tree containing live and potentially dangerous bees.

As is the case with the "swarm in a chimney" scenario, you need that rare hybrid of a builder who is a beekeeper. Or in your case a Beek who not only has a chainsaw but essentially a recognised certification to use it in a public place.

Fair play to the builder that they have not taken the option to euthanise already, not that this means they will not,

My advice is to clarify what the site manager (who's neck is on the line) wants in terms of certification and post back. At worst you could have two operatives, one chainsaw + one beek to get the job done.

One final advice point. Take loads of piks and video. This is one for Beecraft. Or depending how wrong it goes national TV and Youtube!!

Happy Xmas

FB

Latest posts

Back