How to use Spanset hive straps now showing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good.

Nice one.

spanset

If a picture paints a thousand words a video must be worth 10,000.Brilliant Polyhive.Many thanks Ainsie:cheers2:

Welcome.

Sorry the beginning is out of shot but I was using a fixed position camera. Letting a rolled up spanset unroll is not that critical really...lol

I had to be shown how to use them so am just passing it on.

Thanks

PH

Useful indeed. Took us a couple of inventive ways of using them before we got it right!! So, well done...and now we know what the wretched things are called :).

Thanks for the vid - makes it all really clear!

It's no wonder I had a few probs using mine (which I got from Thornes) as the attached end was fixed to the wrong bit....?! I've changed it over now and it works like a dream :)

Thanks God, those straps were giving me brain ache. I was almost there but just needed to get the last bit right. I can now go and collect my first colony of bees tonight safe in the knowledge that the hive won't fall apart in my car on the way home! The local news will just have to go without that story!

Thank you! I bought mine at an agricultural show - nice chap there showed me how to do it but I've slept since then - :blush5:

thanks very informative. I tend to use the ratchet straps from the local pound shop much cheaper

Ha HA. Have a guess! £1 each
Focus DIY have gone into liquidation and I bought a couple from there yesterday for 80p

I have these Spansets and do use them, but prefer ratchet straps for moves of wooden hives to the heather. Their strength helps.

Polyhives can be damaged by such straps as we saw in the video. I've been using these on the Paynes polynucs - they give good protection without exerting too much force on the polystyrene. Very easy to use, and you can get packs of two black ones in Tesco for £2.50.

020120010.jpg

Gavin

PS In Tesco they're in the motoring section. You can get them elsewhere under the name Cam Buckle Straps or similar.

Last edited:
Back