How to spoil a nice day.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get this warning every year at one of my apiaries. I used to really, really worry and bought tweezers and tests and would check any twisted looking larvae, but although SBI has looked at that apiary every year it has always been fine.

By asking your buddies who also has had the alert and using a map and a compass, you can usually work out more or less where the outbreak is. I would not borrow a frame of young brood or do a cut out from the area.

Time to be extra fresh and clean - scrub or change gloves and hive tool between colonies. Use different beesuit for different apiaries and dip wellies in bleach solution.

Finger crossed

Well said! I would add no swarm collection to the list, unless you have a quarantine site.

I never allow anyone else near my colonies, certainly not Bee-keepers. I even restrict "the inspector" to two hives away from the main groupings.

Chris
I guess if anyone is in a position to spread disease it would be inspectors.

They must be trained to take good precautions.

I guess if anyone is in a position to spread disease it would be inspectors.

They must be trained to take good precautions.

They are human beings as far as I know and really IMO rather unnecessary for keepers that know as much or sometimes more, however the one I have is well relaxed and only want's to tick boxes.

BUT I don't have a wild bird inspector round to look at all the bird species I have nesting here........or the other mammals, insects, snakes, frogs etc...

The point being of course that bees fall in some ways between two stools, they are wild insects that we sometimes keep in semi captivity to some degree or another, so the bees in my trees fall outside of any inspection.

Funny ain't it?

Chris

Yes, bees are odd. Those in our hives aren't truly wild, like the ones in the tree next door... but neither are they domesticated like herd of cows or chickens. I guess it's the commercial nature bee keeping that warrants the bee's legal status as 'livestock' - once they are in a hive.

Maybe wild bore are in a similar situation of both living wild and being actively farmed?

bees are odd but beekeepers even more so lol

Yes, bees are odd. Those in our hives aren't truly wild, like the ones in the tree next door... but neither are they domesticated like herd of cows or chickens. I guess it's the commercial nature bee keeping that warrants the bee's legal status as 'livestock' - once they are in a hive.

Maybe wild bore are in a similar situation of both living wild and being actively farmed?

The boar in France certainly are, wild boar can't be retailed, (alive or dead), and aren't checked by the veterinary service whereas farmed boar require a licence,tagging and veterinary inspection, so a similar situation.

What is unclear with Honey bees in France is what the situation is if you have them in a hive or box that is never opened.

Chris

Latest posts

Back