How to get All Beekeepers a Bad Name 2!!!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Who would administer this? Certainly not the BBKA!!!!!
I am a registered breeder with BeeBreed and AGT but when I volunteered for the pilot of the BBKA bee breeders certificate, I was rejected because they decided that I kept the wrong bee (see https://beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=39682 for the sorry tale)

The BBKA are not fit to administer anything. It would have to be Government, and not farmed out to some "industry body" with vested interests or other bias.

You'll always get those folks under the Radar though, you don't have to be registered to find a swarm or set up a bait hive.

That is true, but it could be made illegal to keep bees if not registered. And it could be enforced, but you are correct, there will always be someone under the radar.

But Roche, doesn't that make the assumption that as beekeepers we know best? The little blighters have only been evolving for 120m years give or take. They'll always run rings round us. Someone buys them a nice home, they do well, they swarm, swarm finds new home, does well, swarms, swarms migrate slowly north, finally xx generations later that ladies bee progeny find their way into my bait hive. Result!

For the best part of the 120m years, they have not had to cope with the pests and diseases that are vectored by international trade and travel at a rate that outpaces their ability to evolve. So although we as beekeepers do not know everything let alone best, keeping some degree of responsible management seems like a good idea.

The BBKA are not fit to administer anything. It would have to be Government, and not farmed out to some "industry body" with vested interests or other bias.

At the risk of being sent to the "naughty step" for saying something political, I don't believe that the government are "fit to administer anything" either.

At the risk of being sent to the "naughty step" for saying something political, I don't believe that the government are "fit to administer anything" either.

I think there is a distinction between government departments and the Government. I think the Bee Inspectors do a great job (but could do with more resources).

I think there is a distinction between government departments and the Government. I think the Bee Inspectors do a great job (but could do with more resources).

I am old enough to remember when we had a huge "civil service" that did many of the things we are now responsible for ourselves (e.g. tax, etc). Of course, that was costly and there was some justification for "trimming" the civil service. However, I think the bee inspectors themselves do a good job but the organisations are not as apolitical as they should be.

Latest posts

Back