How often do you look

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

merylvingien

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
under the brood box floor?

Ive had some fun and games over the last couple of weeks with one of my lot.

Were they queenless or not? test frame in and no queen cells, but no eggs are what have you.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, today i revisited to make certain that i couldnt see a queen in there as they are due to be requeened tomorrow after waiting weeks for new queens.
As i was going through the frames i looked down and noticed something underneath the open mesh floor. Looked underneath and there was a sizable load of bees plus wild comb hanging from the floor.

Ive cut the comb off and they started moving back into the hive. So i will go back tomorrow morning and see if i can see her there now.

You put in a test frame and got no queen cells. That should point to being queenless.

Why would you expect to see eggs?

PH

Meryl,

My local bka newsletter discussed exactly this situation.

They advised putting the tray back into the varroa floor to prevent Qs returning from their mating flight, landing underneath and setting up home under the mesh as the hive 'smell' will permeate through.

Looks like this is what happened with you...

richard

You put in a test frame and got no queen cells. That should point to being queenless.

Why would you expect to see eggs?

PH

Am i missing something?
If they are queenless, you put in a test frame with eggs, they will make queen cells, right?

This didnt happen, so i assumed that there was a queen there that i had missed, as is the case, she was under the mesh floor hence no eggs on the frames.

Maybe i have got this all wrong and should give up now :D

Well I have to say this is a new one.

Always learning, and look at the tag....lol

PH

best leave it meryl or you'll be up all night, besides...your name's not Rita!

I am so confused as to whats what now, i had to use google to check that what i am saying is right

I realise this may cause you even more concern but I understood what you wrote and your conclusion which would have been mine as well...

...fascinating situation, I'll be looking under the hives from now on.

Chris

I was utterly wrong to say that and mis interpeted my own words...

Posting too late at night after a very long day.

Sorry

PH

Latest posts

Back