How much syrup for new swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do224

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I gave my new swarm a litre of 1:1 syrup yesterday morning (48 hours after capture).

Should I be giving them some more? They have a full brood box of new foundation to draw out.

Ideally, you want a swarm to use any food it's brought with it from it's old colony in drawing wax so you shouldn't need to feed it.

Ideally, you want a swarm to use any food it's brought with it from it's old colony in drawing wax so you shouldn't need to feed it.

I gave them 48 hours to use anything in their honey stomach.

From reading around on here it sounds like it’s worth feeding them to help them draw out wax for a while, but there’s a risk of over feeding at which point they would start to store it.

I’m not sure how much to give them or how quickly they’re likely to use it. Could they already have used the litre I gave them yesterday or will it keep them going for a while?

From reading around on here it sounds like it’s worth feeding them to help them draw out wax for a while, but there’s a risk of over feeding at which point they would start to store it.

I’m not sure how much to give them or how quickly they’re likely to use it. Could they already have used the litre I gave them yesterday or will it keep them going for a while?

Personally, I don't feed a swarm. If they need food, there's plenty of forage around at the moment. I suppose, if you wanted them to draw out lots of foundation, you could feed as much 1:1 as it takes to draw out the comb

plenty of forage around at the moment
This is the guiding factor; down here there's nothing coming in and nucs need syrup; blackberry is opening but there's nothing foraging on it - too hot for nectar, perhaps.
feed as much 1:1 as it takes to draw out the comb
I agree.

This is the guiding factor; down here there's nothing coming in and nucs need syrup; blackberry is opening but there's nothing foraging on it - too hot for nectar, perhaps.

I agree.
I'm not too far north of you but I'm finding brood boxes choked with pollen and fresh nectar.
I think it depends on how much foundation he wants them to draw out. You'd also have to be a bit careful to shuffle individual frames around a bit too - to stop them sticking frames together. I have boxes that I alternated drawn and foundation - now the drawn combs are #4" thick and the foundation is hardly touched. This brings me to another point - the age of the workers is important. As the workers get older, they'll draw less wax.

Thanks both. How quickly could they get through a litre of syrup? I’m totally new so have no idea.

I don’t want to disturb them by checking unless I have to in case the queen heads out to mate while I’m there and is disorientated if I’ve gone again when she returns...

I would use the round, rapid feeder, it allows you to give them half a gallon, which will help them with the comb building. You can gauge the situation from there as to whether it's enough or they need a little more.

I don’t want to disturb them by checking unless I have to in case the queen heads out to mate while I’m there and is disorientated if I’ve gone again when she returns...
Check at either end of the day when Q flying is over.

Check at either end of the day when Q flying is over.

Ok thanks, will check this evening. Should I be moving frames around at the same time....to encourage them to draw them all out? Or should I avoid disturbing them?

Last edited:
should I avoid disturbing them?
Yes. Swarms have been drawing comb for thousands of years and know what to do. If they're on foundation, let them get on with it in peace, especially as you don't know whether the swarm queen is a virgin or mated.

Yes. Swarms have been drawing comb for thousands of years and know what to do. If they're on foundation, let them get on with it in peace, especially as you don't know whether the swarm queen is a virgin or mated.

Will leave them be then, thanks. They’ve also got three ‘starter strip’ frames from the swarm trap as they’d already started building these out when I transferred them into the hive.

When would you recommend I do my first inspection and how will I know when to stop topping up the syrup?

Many thanks again

Rain is coming down S/E from tomorrow so in your area go by how well they are foraging, if not lightly feed little and often for wax drawing. Use thin syrup 1:1 and not thick 2:1, the thicker the syrup the more likely to store it.

Last edited:
I gave my new swarm a litre of 1:1 syrup yesterday morning (48 hours after capture).

Should I be giving them some more? They have a full brood box of new foundation to draw out.
Think it depends how big the swarm is. I’ve seen data which suggests the ‘average’ swarm carries enough nectar in their honey stomach to draw out one side of a comb unless there is a good flow on. So I would quickly assess after a few days, look for eggs (ie is it a virgin or not) and if slowing down comb building I’d feed. Only you will be able to tell how big it is, how busy it is and how fast they are drawing comb. If they start to fill combs with nectar you know they have enough.

I’ve just been to have a look at the feeder and was amazed to find it empty (I put a litre of 1:1 syrup in it at 10am yesterday when I transferred the bees into the hive).

I gave them another litre just now. Should I be checking the feeder morning and evening and keep topping up until I do my first inspection (first inspection planned for Sunday or Monday, meaning I’ll have had the swarm for 7 or 8 days at that point)?

Is there forage? Are they collecting anything?
I would be tempted to stop till you next look in.
my swarm got 2 litres. They have been out flying.

Is there forage? Are they collecting anything?
I would be tempted to stop till you next look in.
my swarm got 2 litres. They have been out flying.

They were flying well yesterday in the warm weather but it’s been cool and wet most of today.

I could inspect earlier than planned if you recommend? Just don’t want to risk scaring them off

Latest posts

Back