How Much honey did you get this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only got 36lb from 2 hives.

2010 got 211lb from 1 hive.

Just shows it's all down to the weather.

all told, just less than 40lb. Came into the year with 1 colony, and through splits and 2 collected swarms, peaked at 8, and will take 6 strong colonies into winter. My girls have been better at making bees than making honey this year!

I got 220 lb from spring and just had another 150 lb, so 370 lb.
There is a bit more to come if only they would finish capping it.
I am looking again this weekend and whats not ready will be left as I want to start my Varroa treatment.

All in all 370 lb from 9 hives for my 2nd year I am quite happy, I think if it had been a good year I may have struggled to get it all off !
Best hive was at my mums in the middle of town (80 lb) and was a very small colony in April. She is getting 2 big strong ones next spring

Pete D

So Pete, its everyone over to your Mum's next year for the association apiary visit?

Got 3lbs from our first hive. Didn't think we would get any to be honest. Thanks Pete for the loan of your extractor

I haven't extracted it yet, but my mentor had a heft of the super and reckoned there was about 10lbs in there. I'm happy to get any at all in my first year :)

Started the year with 1 hive and with swarms went up to 3. Now going into autumn we have 2 hives and 33.5lbs of honey; more than happy for the first year considering the weather.
Alan

3 hives gave 105lb from the spring OSR and 23lb from summer. 43lb per hive (and one definitely underperformed) so pretty happy with that.

managed 50lb from 2 hives right at the last and at least half of that was nearby heather. Otherwise have had to feed them up to july. Had none last year so well pleased.

Poor year

Most of my colonies were building up so I didn't expect to take anything from them.

Nothing in Spring, was going to take a few colonies to the OSR but it rained solid for 3 and half weeks by which time it was wasn't worth it.

Summer crop went up and down week by week in the end I only took 30 Lbs from 2 hives and left the rest with theirs as it looked like they needed more than I did.

Heather - 3 deep langstroth colony: Taken 45Lbs by removing the upper chamber leaving it with a full deep chamber of Summer and heather honey and whatever they have in the lower chamber, the other double deep colony I've not taken any and probably wont as by the time I bring it home it will be too late.

1400lbs from 25 hives but most (1000 lbs) of it OSR

About 25% of what I had last year... However, it is outstandingly good!

Most of my personal customers (friends and relatives) prefer runny honey" so I don't sell much set honey in the jar . Most of the OSR (30 buckets) is being sold on up the chain to a packer. Having said that my OSR has a fine smooth crystal without being "lardy". It tastes quite good without me having to add anything as Blackthorn, dandelion, sycamore and other spring flower honey came in with the early rape and field bean plus Lime (although not much lime this year) came in with the later OSR. I have a microscope and well able to recognise most of the common pollen types in honey so I am fairly sure where my bees get the nectar from.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Most of my personal customers (friends and relatives) prefer runny honey" so I don't sell much set honey in the jar . Most of the OSR (30 buckets) is being sold on up the chain to a packer. Having said that my OSR has a fine smooth crystal without being "lardy". It tastes quite good without me having to add anything as Blackthorn, dandelion, sycamore and other spring flower honey came in with the early rape and field bean plus Lime (although not much lime this year) came in with the later OSR. I have a microscope and well able to recognise most of the common pollen types in honey so I am fairly sure where my bees get the nectar from.

not worthynot worthynot worthynot worthy

I took 7lb early in the year to try it. Well they were my first colony last year. :)
Last week extracted what was in the 2 supers and it came to another 21lb.
Not bad for 1 hive this year by all accounts, but it works out as very expensive honey. :reddevil::reddevil:

60kg. Started my beekeeping career with one overwintered hive in the spring.

Best hive 5 supers of OSR 4 supers of runny honey & 1 full 14x12 box which was fun to spin of. Total so far 40 10 kg buckets 3 section boxes and 3 supers of cut comb still got 6 hives to take supers off.

above is what I posted last year on 6th sept. this year only 10 10kg buckets 1 section still on but only filled a few sections in middle. think i have fed more that i've taken off. plus 10 more hives this year.

Back