How Much honey did you get this year?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpearce4

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
a few more than last year but still not enough
Well did my final extraction today and wow was it really worth it this year?

spring 90lb OSR from 4 of 9hives
summer 120lb mixed honey from 7 of 15hives.

what a load of rubbish that was. hopefully next year will be better!!!!!!

Frankly I think I will be pleased if I get an average of 20lb from 26 working hives .
Worst yr ever and I dont think the problems are over yet . The big test will be how many get through Winter with Queens that I think may have been poorly mated .

G

Still coming in here , mind we are always a few weeks behind the south :D
VM

1 Hive giving about 4lb. Very disappointing.

3 hives = 23 lbs :angelsad2:

I got 220 lb from spring and just had another 150 lb, so 370 lb.
There is a bit more to come if only they would finish capping it.
I am looking again this weekend and whats not ready will be left as I want to start my Varroa treatment.

All in all 370 lb from 9 hives for my 2nd year I am quite happy, I think if it had been a good year I may have struggled to get it all off !
Best hive was at my mums in the middle of town (80 lb) and was a very small colony in April. She is getting 2 big strong ones next spring

Pete D

Last edited:
I got 30lb a few weeks ago and 52lb last weekend, vitually from two hives with a little from one hive that was split earlier in the year. Quite pleased with the results considering how poor the weather has been. There may be a little more, have left supers on with uncapped honey and if the weather is nice through September I will delay my treatment until later in the year. Feel confident about doing this because all hives have had lactic acid treatment when they have been broodless during the year.

Had a quick look yesterday as it seemed that mine weren't putting down any sealed honey. Lo and behold two and a half sealed supers in each hive. Couldn't resist taking out 4 frames to "suck it an see" and I spun off over 5ibs from the 4 frames - and it's the most beautiful clear flowery stuff. So in the past two weeks the girls have really gone to town. Plan to take a super off from each hive before treatment in the next few days.

Quite excitingly I just took 30lb off our hive (the second hive was artificially swarmed from the first a couple of months ago). It only started as a 4 frame nuc back in early May though so we didn't get a spring load obviously

310 lb off 7 hives and i havent took supers off yet so hopefully get another 100 lb

First crop - 110lbs in total, which I was very happy with. (No OSR in these parts.) Difficult to say how many hives - started the season with 4, then went up to 7 as they started to swarm, am now down to six and may end up with 4 again before I wrap them up for the winter. Although I've learnt a lot I hope beekeeping won't be this challenging every year....

Like most of you, I've had a very poor season compared to the last two years. I'm giving the girls until this Sunday to take off a super or two, and then they can keep the rest. I'm not going to risk it after that as Ivy has started to bloom and I don't want it contaminating the honey already collected!

Still coming in here , mind we are always a few weeks behind the south :D
VM

:iagree:It's bee mayhem here, H. balsom, heather, pollen etc. They kept going through this afternoon's thunderstorm. Three hives have produced over 100lbs so far, got another 20 frames still to extract. In July I thought we would be getting nothing.:hurray:

Out here in wettest Wiltshire, we have not enjoyed a lot of the Summery delights of the east this year. My bees also trail being at an elevation of 150m.

Some of my colonys did not even reach full size this year, with last years poorly mated queens failing and taking a huge amount of time to recover due to poorly mated queens this year.

Will be harvesting from only about 8 hives this year, with only up to about 40lb's per hive.
The clover is having another flush. If we have hot weather in the next week or two before the Thymol goes on, there may be hope yet.... not expecting it though.

..roll on next year.

:(

71lbs from OSR in May and 75lbs last week from 2 hives. Very happy with results considering the awful weather and swarming problems this year.

Not an exact measurement, yet, but if a 20L bucket is twice the size of a 30lb bucket (it appears to be), then I think I've already had more then 100lb from three hives and most of that from two.

150 lbs from 2 hives. 110lbs of OSR honey during a freak 3 week sunny spell in may, 40lbs for the rest of the year.

Back