How much did you get?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got 20lb and I couldn't have been more chuffed! Wasn't expecting any really in my first year so it's all good. Now I just need to sell it for £35 a pound and I might just break even ;-) Already given half of it away to people I've bored rigid over the past year with my constant bee talk.

I've loved my first year, but definitely could not have done it without the help and advice I found on this site - thank you all so much.

Alyson

So far we have taken about 5 or 6 lbs - it is our first year, and not looking to take much - as a previous poster said - just enough to give a taste to all those who have had to suffer a lot of "bee talk". Bees are still bringing in Heather from the Common nearby, and the Ivy is about to flower, so I may take another couple of frames (if they ever get around to capping them!!!!!!) and then leave the rest for them over winter

Considering all three of my colonies swarmed (despite AS!) I did better than expected. Virtually nothing from one hive,28 lbs from another (Willow Herb and Balsam) and 25 lb Ling so far but heather will be over soon here. Its great to see my first honey bottled and labelled after a blank last year. Better than the first egg from my chooks years ago. A lot of people in this area have reported bees building up late but fast this year, that's certainly been my experience.

Considering all three of my colonies swarmed (despite AS!) I did better than expected. Virtually nothing from one hive,28 lbs from another (Willow Herb and Balsam) and 25 lb Ling so far but heather will be over soon here. Its great to see my first honey bottled and labelled after a blank last year. Better than the first egg from my chooks years ago. A lot of people in this area have reported bees building up late but fast this year, that's certainly been my experience.
180 lbs total from two hives , mainly extracted but 8 frames used for cut comb honey :)
VM

Best hive 5 supers of OSR 4 supers of runny honey & 1 full 14x12 box which was fun to spin of. Total so far 40 10 kg buckets 3 section boxes and 3 supers of cut comb still got 6 hives to take supers off.

112 lb off 2 hives - still 30 lb+ to remove from the bees.

Beeline,

look at it this way:

If you'd put a QE under the super, you'd probably have 20+lbs of honey!

I have had a very tough year and the bees have been left to their own devices most of the time and I made dreadful mistakes with one hive. The other two have swarmed several times but still gave me 51lbs of honey, so selling some for the first time. I am quite chuffed and I am thinking that perhaps I should continue this 'hands off' approach next year as 'the bees know best'! At an association meeting last week everyone was grumbling about the honey harvest being down by at least 30%
Louise

Beeline,

look at it this way:

If you'd put a QE under the super, you'd probably have 20+lbs of honey!

Thanks for the sympathy Rich. :cuss:
I'm afraid I have yet to see a capped frame in either the brood or super section of this brood and half but next year I reckon is my year. Better be otherwise I'll be issuing her with a NCR. :)

I got about 35 lbs form my 5 hives but that started the year as one hive so it was split 5 ways in the middle of the year . So im VERY happy with that.
All hives good and strong for winter so heres hoping.
One still at heather but will be home soon with another super hopefully.

Still waiting for a replacement extractor, but judging by the boxes taken off and stored ahead of extraction (and the state my back's in!) somewhere between 2000lb and 2400lb.

Mainly white clover.

On my only hive 49lbs from 2 supers, and have left another full super as winter feed. Pleased with this, as original queen took off in May, and it was another month before a replacement was sourced and laying. Looking to set up a second hive in the spring - kit purchased and ready!

took off 60lbs that was capped loads uncapped. Took most of them out to the heather started to do well the down came the rain. Seems to be the story of this season, for me very frustrating.

Latest posts

Back