How many frames ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Hivemaker for a modicum of support. You mention plastic/metal end spacers. My problem with them is that unless the bees propolise them pretty solidly (which they usually do with gusto) I have found they risk sliding off at inconvenient moments during inspections. Propolisation of the plastic spacers also makes cleaning them up another duty that I would rather avoid. For that reason I avoid them if at all possible. The only occasion I do usually use them is in my 5 frame nuc boxes.

Now I am from a different camp. I use plastic end spacers all the time, less chance of killing a queen between two Hoffman spacers, easy to remove and replace if they become gunked up, easy to change to wide spacers if you require them in supers, helps to grip end of lug and swivel frame, don't kill as many bees, pretty colours which you can identify different box' s for different hives if you want to, etc etc. but that's just what I find best!
E

I have one hive with castellated spacers in the brood. I have had it about three years, don't find it any harder to inspect than any other hive.

Roger Patterson also uses castellations as do I. Quite daft of course some would have everybody believe!!!!

Last edited:
Back