How long would you drive to an out apiary

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought about asking my company if I could keep bees on some of their land. They would probably be up for it. Then I thought some more and decided I didn't want to be involved in the greenwashing around honey bees. In my opinion a company with a few hives on its premises is not contributing anything to the environment and I would not want to be helping them make capital out of it.
Quite right, especially if driving to any so-called "green" site takes more than a few minutes with all the damage to the environment that would do, not to mention the incovenience and time involved.

Last edited:
My limit would be around a half an hour up here, but I am surrounded mainly by green dessert with the occasional oasis of trees and wild following the course a wee burn. The farm where I have my nearest apiary is only ten minutes away including the drive up the muddy track.

Only far enough that when I realise I've forgotten the gate keys again it won't take too long to return home, then back to the apiary, again.
Love the trailer, I can see most of it looks home made. The arm connecting to the bike, did you make something or is this bit salvaged from a commercial made trailer?

Love the trailer, I can see most of it looks home made. The arm connecting to the bike, did you make something or is this bit salvaged from a commercial made trailer?
Salvaged from a small trailer to transport children in.
I go well beyond it's designed 20kg trail limit.

hi guys,

for it i got 3 sites,

1) home garden, - 3 hives, 1 nuc
2) allotment (about under 15 mins drive from home) - 3 hives
3) an ecocentre near me maintained by local land developer, they allocated a spot to keep bees there but never got a beekeeper until i approached them and it was perfect timing, (5 to 7 mins drive from home) - sorting out contract but i expect to be given permission for at least 2 to 5 hives there.

work full time, and run a small business, plus beekeeping hobby and 2 allotment plots. hands are too full to have anymore apiary sites.

hi guys,

for it i got 3 sites,

1) home garden, - 3 hives, 1 nuc
2) allotment (about under 15 mins drive from home) - 3 hives
3) an ecocentre near me maintained by local land developer, they allocated a spot to keep bees there but never got a beekeeper until i approached them and it was perfect timing, (5 to 7 mins drive from home) - sorting out contract but i expect to be given permission for at least 2 to 5 hives there.

work full time, and run a small business, plus beekeeping hobby and 2 allotment plots. hands are too full to have anymore apiary sites.
Nice to see you posting again, hope your well mate?

Nice to see you posting again, hope your well mate?
Heyy Mark, nice to hear from you too! i had been very busy and not been in the forums much hence went missing in action for a while. nontheless been beekeeping well and enjoying the hobby. also hives had been expanding quite abit too but trying not to overdo it and it then becomes a chore rather than a hobby.

hope you are keeping well too!

regards
Joel

Latest posts

Back