how long QE under caught swarm?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
just caught a swarm from next door(im guessing it was mine found a few qc's I had missed or they had later raised, after seeing airborne bees sunday) so she prob a virgin queen how long qe in? till drawn comb? and is it ok moving them back to a few ft from their original hive?

Last edited:
just caught a swarm from next door(im guessing it was mine found a few qc's I had missed or they had later raised, after seeing airborne bees sunday) so she prob a virgin queen how long qe in? till drawn comb? and is it ok moving them back to a few ft from their original hive?

Leave excluder in for 2 day. It will be OK to move it near to the original hive tonight.

I've never put a queen excluder under my captured swarms and haven't had any problems with absconding yet.

The virgin Queen starts its orientation flight quite early. When it flies, it is already 2 days old.

But it will not hurt itself behind excluder.
I would keep excluder so long that they start comb drawing.

Only problem in absconding is that the swarm vanishes over tree canopy. Such has happened to me.

Last edited:
What makes you think the Q is a virgin?
If this is the first swarm (prime) from the colony it will be the old queen, in which case I would leave qe on until there is brood present.

What makes you think the Q is a virgin?

It makes me think virgin, because virgin must get out from hive to orientation flights and to mating flights.

And who knows first, what kind of queen is in the swarm. It may have 5 virgins.

Back