How Long for New Q to start laying

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobh1969

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Have a hive that swarmed 3 weeks ago, Still no sign of eggs / brood upon inspection at the weekend. I havn't been able to spot the new queen so I'm not sure that she is even present. One capped QC still in Hive. Should I re-queen or see if the QC produces anything. Thanks.

A test frame is the standard procedure for most experienced beekeepers (yes, we all lose swarms!) in cases like this.
The cell will be a dud or hatched and resealed by the bees.

I put one in on Saturday, fingers crossed. I had caught the swarm but went on 2 weeks holidays, it absconded while I was away.

Have a hive that swarmed 3 weeks ago, Still no sign of eggs / brood upon inspection at the weekend.

I wouldn't expect any different yet - swarmed three weeks ago, assume you reduced to one or two QC's? - probably sealed,so a further week or so for new queen to emerge that only leaves her two weeks to get fit for flying, go on mating flights, get settled in and start laying - PATIENCE! :)

Thanks, Very angry bees at weekend inspection so I presumed they were queenless.

I've same problem, my queens hatched around the 25th June and still no eggs or larva. Was getting worried until I was advised to cam down for another week or 2 because even thou she mates, she still couldn't be laying yet.

Had a batch of 12 queens emerge on 1st July and of those 1 didn't emerge, three absconded shortly after emerging, 4 were laying on Friday past and the remainder have polished cells so I am hopeful they too are about to come into lay. Check yours in a week to see how they are progressing.

I had this same dilemma earlier in the year. Followed what the books and forum advice said. I was patient and ended up with an absent Q and laying workers after 5 weeks. I have made a note in my book to give it no more than 4 weeks before taking action next time (you should avoid laying workers by 4 weeks I believe). Problem is....that's a month without any replacement bees! Depends on your strategy/patience. Just my opinion,not saying it's right, this is my experience this year. Good luck.

If the hive swarmed 3 weeks ago there can't be anything in the queen cell and there won't be any capped brood. Next thing to do is check the test frame in 3-4 days after you put it in and open the queen cell at the same time.

We had five queens emerge 30th June - 1st July. They all started laying between 13th and 16th July, so in their third week. The weather was good the pervious week - in fact we even saw three of them flying.

Latest posts

Back