how heavy is a super standard national SN1

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the beehive lodge

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Has anyone got the average weight of a super loaded with capped honey
i have bought a hoist from aldi to lower stuff down off my flat roof where my hive is.
As i only got my bees last year i havent took honey yet so not sure of the weight
just wondering also has any got an average weight of a healthy brood box of bees DN1:grouphug: :cheet
Thanks in advance

well i think it is about super frame averages 2.25lb but depends on spaceing, DN1 store frame 4 to 5lb, 14x12 store frame 7lb
anyone any other views as i have never weighed them bee-smillie

The hoist is rated to 125kg on a single cable more than ample for lifting the super trouble for me is i have a scaffold pole that runs from the floor at the side of the house and as part of the hiost you get a swinging bar to hang it on (a bit like a height barrier in a carpark but the longer the reach the less weight it will hold i hope that makes sense i'll take a photo in day light if not
im just wondering the weight of each part of the hive for peace of mind
;)

If you were to say the max weight of a super was about 35lb (being over cautious) you should be ok lifting that weight.

A full National super will never be less than that magical 11.3kg. That is for sure. I think you are mixed up with the weight of honey, not the weight of the box.

This thread is pretty well a wasted exercise as any hoist would manage part of a super, or even a frame at a time. Not much point in using a hoist if it could be carried more easily manually. I would think the set-up should almost be able to hoist a full hive, let alone a super. If it's not, it was a waste of dosh.

RAB

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back