How far are your out apiaries

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
just curious as to how far people go. I have found a few options one 13 miles on good land and another at about 20 miles and another at 10 miles. Was hoping to find somewhere a little nearer but I suppose if the land is fruitfull it may be well worth it

18 miles each way, but it's a brilliant site - secure, productive, good access. The only downside? A neighbouring farmer has planted acres of OSR this year, flowering now. Not my favourite honey, in case I haven't mentioned it before...

just curious as to how far people go. I have found a few options one 13 miles on good land and another at about 20 miles and another at 10 miles. Was hoping to find somewhere a little nearer but I suppose if the land is fruitfull it may be well worth it

My apiaries are all 1 to 1.5 miles apart. My furthest is about 5 miles from home

Each 2 miles away in opposite directions. Had one further (25min drive) but too much hassle fitting inspections in. Depends how much time you have, with work, young children and cricket don't have time to drive around

18 kilometres my furthest, all on my way to and from clients (gardening ) so obvious benefits of being" out that way anyway". you have to be realistic and economical in the position of your apiaries.
The only down side is i often loose a couple of hours as i "just pop in as I am passing" Lol.

1, 7 miles, the other 3 miles, in the other direction. Trouble is, the round trip is 20 miles. :)

1, 7 miles, the other 3 miles, in the other direction. Trouble is, the round trip is 20 miles. :)

Blimey do you have one hive at each site. no wonder you will never make any money from your bees.

We have 6 hives here with me (soon to be 4, as we are moving 2 to an out apiary). Another apiary of ours (my brothers home) is 4 miles away and the other another mile from his. Not too bad really.

quite a few behind the garden at home, another good few at an out apiary about four-five miles with another about three miles from there but five miles from home (these are road miles BTW - as the drone flies the are four,two and two apart in a triangle.
I also have an apiary site on the heather about a mile and a half from home.

i have two out apiaries one is 14 miles for OSR and the other is 13 miles in an orchard and they are about four miles apart, both have produced spring honey this year

From home or from each other? Currently I have hives 200 miles away, but just until next month, then they will be moved home for the fall flow and to winter.

4 (room for 12) 6 miles away, 2 at home, 2 elsewhere being looked after, 28 2 miles away, and 4 1 mile away.

Not far enough! 1/4 mile near the bottom of our driveway behind our wood! The wife moved them back to our land when i renewed my insurance. I think maybe 4 or 5 hives, i have nothing to do with her bees. I am hyper sensitive and having to work with Bees most days i just dont feel inclined to go near them at home.

Blimey do you have one hive at each site. no wonder you will never make any money from your bees.

Guilty as charged. When I first started, (all those years ago,1) a kind lady said I could put hives in her 1/2 acre garden. So I put my first in there.
I was then offered a field in the near countryside, so I put 2 more in there with the intention of moving the other. Unfortunately, the lady is overwhelmed with happiness at having bees in her garden and I don't have the heart to move them. Also, it's handy having another sight if I have to move things around.

:)

9 miles north, 18 miles east, 21 miles south, 12 miles west.

to the south, is near work (lunchtime viewing!)

to the East, I have a round trip of 6 apiary's.

to the north and west, I have another round trip.

country miles also make it easy...

Latest posts

Back