How do you take out hive entrance blocks?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kitted up again this morning and went up to the hives. After my hasty retreat yesterday, the bees were up in my face as soon as I was within 10' of the hive.

collected all the bits around the hives that i'd dropped and took them away then went and had another look at the hives and entrances. Noticed that the mouseguard doesn't fully go across the entrace, leaving a half inch wide square where mice could get in. Looks like I'll have to remove the guards, put the blocks back in and then put the guards back into place.

That should be fun*

*for very very small values of fun.

Edit: I've just ordered a full suit from BBwear along with some gauntlet gloves, hopefully reduce the chance of being stung this badly again.

Attachments

• IMG_8483.jpg
    IMG_8483.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_8484.jpg
    IMG_8484.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Use some foam to block the entrances you don’t want and attend to the rest in the spring when the bees are better tempered.

I'd thought of putting a screw in to make it easy to remove the block but then couldn't rotate it for the different sized opening. I guess I could get two blocks but think I'll just plane the current ones down so they're a slightly less tight fit.

Any thoughts on whether you leave the block in once the mouse guards are on? Not sure there's much point as the arches limit the size of the entrance.

A simple answer is to move the screw to a use able face when you want to rotate the block?

image.jpg

All my OMF's are home made from bits of pallets and finders keepers- hence the entrances are different heights. I make a wedge into my entrance reducers so they will slot into any of my entrances- widest part is 20mm and narrows down to 10mm.

View attachment 14842

All my OMF's are home made from bits of pallets and finders keepers- hence the entrances are different heights. I make a wedge into my entrance reducers so they will slot into any of my entrances- widest part is 20mm and narrows down to 10mm.

Why did I not think of that?
Good idea thanks.

Edit: I've just ordered a full suit from BBwear along with some gauntlet gloves, hopefully reduce the chance of being stung this badly again.

The suit will be one of the best beekeeping investments you'll ever make. Good PPE is vital.
Cazza

No..... foam for temporary blockage so they don't pile out !!3

I think you have the wrong end of the stick Leum, the new member has a picture with a gap at each end of the Mouse guard, either way i would not use foam any way, if i ever need to lock bees in i do it at night time by pinning a piece of varroa mesh over the entrance, problem solved with ventilation still allowed, or a lump of wood for other reasons.

The suit will be one of the best beekeeping investments you'll ever make. Good PPE is vital.
Cazza

Thanks, that's good to know, I did a bit or research on here to find the most well regarded ones.

So, I've just come back from the hives where I've put the slightly planed-down entrance blocks back in fairly easily, replaced the mouse guards, put 2" of insulation in an empty super on top of the crown board and removed the varroa boards.

Sat and watched them for a while industriously coming and going in the sunshine, laden with bright yellow pollen from the ivy in the woods across the road.

All without getting stung and while feeling much more calm and confident due to the new suit and gloves.

Thanks for all the advice and help. Now I just have to get a couple of straps fitting and I'm done with the hives until they need additional feed next year.

Glad the confidence is on the up. Have used BB suits since I started. Good value. My original is still going strong. However be aware you can still be stung through the suit. When I used to use the leather gauntlets I found they made my handling clumsy and I squashed bees under my fingers. Now wear washing Up gloves or nitriles and it is much better. Still get stung through the gloves occasionally, but it does not penetrate fully. Only use gauntlets if a hive is very bad tempered. Enjoy your next season.

If you want sting proof, Ozarmour, 4mm mesh. They advertise your money back if stung through the suit....(excluding face mesh!!!).
Brilliant in hot weather as like working in a ventilated string vest. Also offer gloves to the same specification, but not used those so can't comment on them.
The BB ones are very good quality, but you feel like you are working in a sauna when the mercury rises. There are other good suit manufacturers out there and many cheap ones. As the saying goes "buy cheap buy twice".

First time I have heard of this oz armour stuff. Looked it up, quite interesting, when my bee suit eventually wears out in 25 years time I might consider one! That's if I am still keeping bees when I am 88!!

Latest posts

Back