How do you know what the bees are foraging

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am worrying about possible starvation of lighter hives .

How heavy is light would you feed them syrup? Also for comb building if the weathers bad ie bee's not being able to forage much .

Based on my configurations under 25Kg.. Equates to roughly 20-22Kg on a national.. (Less for poly)

I am worrying about possible starvation of lighter hives .

How heavy is light would you feed them syrup? Also for comb building if the weathers bad ie bee's not being able to forage much .

They have lived ok without you for millions of years. Worrying will get you nowhere.
If you must worry about feed, bung in half a gallon and see how they go. Hope you don't get sugar in your honey. My apiary is well sited for forage and whatever the weather I do not feed sugar over summer. Occasionally I may bung in the odd set comb, dipped in water, for a bit of encouragement

They have lived ok without you for millions of years. Worrying will get you nowhere.
If you must worry about feed, bung in half a gallon and see how they go. Hope you don't get sugar in your honey. My apiary is well sited for forage and whatever the weather I do not feed sugar over summer. Occasionally I may bung in the odd set comb, dipped in water, for a bit of encouragement

No need to feed syrup to build comb if there's nectar about locally ?
I'm not worried my self I'm asking questions drex .

My bees were within 100 meters of an OSR field last year and the honey I took once the flowers had faded did not set at all and was very similar to that I took in August.

My bees were within 100 meters of an OSR field last year and the honey I took once the flowers had faded did not set at all and was very similar to that I took in August.
The OSR might not of produced nectar or they may have found a better nectar source.

No need to feed syrup to build comb if there's nectar about locally ?
I'm not worried my self I'm asking questions drex .

Nectar and syrup are basically the same, a solution of sugars in water. They have to fly to collect nectar, which costs them fuel (honey). They may prefer to cut fuel costs, but if they are going to make an overall gain by flying x miles they will.

Latest posts

Back