How do i introduce a new queen ?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you every one for your contribution to my problem.
I finally decided enough was enough so at 1000 today i placed two pads of Eythel Acetate (killing fluid) and placed them in the bottom of the hive then sealed up the hive with masking tape.
Returned to the hive at 1400 and inspected the contents at least 20,000 dead bees including the illusive queen. Cleaned out the hive and left to air with netting over the super so no bees could get in and began to study the bees to try to find the queen. Even used a magnifying glass to help me but no she still evaded me. So there we are a pitiful state to get into having to destroy half a strong colony, but the other half with my breed queen in it are doing well and building up nicely.
By the way the queen is marked and has her wing clipped.

Finally thank you all for your advice and thoughts on the problem i only hope you do not encounter the same problem. I wish you all the best for your future endeavors in beekeeping and carry on enjoying the fabulous hobby.

Best wishes to you all.

Maurice Vaughan

Thank you every one for your contribution to my problem.
I finally decided enough was enough so at 1000 today i placed two pads of Eythel Acetate (killing fluid) and placed them in the bottom of the hive then sealed up the hive with masking tape.
Returned to the hive at 1400 and inspected the contents at least 20,000 dead bees including the illusive queen. Cleaned out the hive and left to air with netting over the super so no bees could get in and began to study the bees to try to find the queen. Even used a magnifying glass to help me but no she still evaded me. So there we are a pitiful state to get into having to destroy half a strong colony, but the other half with my breed queen in it are doing well and building up nicely.
By the way the queen is marked and has her wing clipped.

Finally thank you all for your advice and thoughts on the problem i only hope you do not encounter the same problem. I wish you all the best for your future endeavors in beekeeping and carry on enjoying the fabulous hobby.

Best wishes to you all.

Maurice Vaughan

I hope everything is all right?

I would relish the challenge

I have a similar "problem". Going through a "queenless" colony to remove any queen cells prior to requeening I found EGGS:eek:

It is a Dadant and packed with bees ie BIG. So far I have inspected carefully - failed. Paired the frames in 2 brood boxes - failed. Shaken all the bees off the frames, placed the frames in an empty brood box with a QX over and sieved the bees back onto the frames - failed again. At this point I had many hundreds of very hacked off bees and I was melting - +26C in the shade but I was in full sun - so I closed up.

Other than wait 3 days and see if there are fresh eggs then see if they develop into worker = Q or drone = laying worker. Has anyone any other ideas?

I have a similar "problem". Going through a "queenless" colony to remove any queen cells prior to requeening I found EGGS:eek:

It is a Dadant and packed with bees ie BIG. So far I have inspected carefully - failed. Paired the frames in 2 brood boxes - failed. Shaken all the bees off the frames, placed the frames in an empty brood box with a QX over and sieved the bees back onto the frames - failed again. At this point I had many hundreds of very hacked off bees and I was melting - +26C in the shade but I was in full sun - so I closed up.

Other than wait 3 days and see if there are fresh eggs then see if they develop into worker = Q or drone = laying worker. Has anyone any other ideas?

Isn't there the one of putting a dead queen in a cage in the hive (from the freezer collection...) and isolating those two frames half an hour later by which time she ought to be around trying to kill it?

My best one to date was a cast swarm with a DLQ....four beekeepers failed to find her on three frames and with assorted methods.

Haven't read the rest of this thread...just as well it seems :(

The solution to the problem was offered at post #3.

Taken to the logical conclusion the frame she was on could almost have been isolated by now. It only requires 2 days to know which half has a laying queen and the early 'halving' is easy to tell from the roar from the Q- side.

So at most 6 frames on day one, a further split to three frames (max) would have revealed her location in a further two (new eggs) and a further split would.....and this thread has been going how long? To end up with killing a colony is downright reprehensible in my book.

Well well,
oliver90owner
To end up with killing a colony is downright reprehensible in my book.
A real cool kid eh its alright to critise but wait untill it happens to you, then what? It was only half a colony i killed not a full colony.

Bye

then what?

Do just as was suggested at post #3, of course. Not exactly rocket science.
Bye. Again.

My opinion is that the bee killer should be banned from this forum for bringing beekeepers in to disrepute by his actions. He shames us all.

My opinion is that the bee killer should be banned from this forum for bringing beekeepers in to disrepute by his actions. He shames us all.

Get real.
The forum is enriched by people posting all sorts of rubbish while at least this thread has teased out a little biology and common sense, and you'd like to censor that with banning :rolleyes: just because of honesty about an unpopular choice of action ? If we all conformed to a certain accepted way I wouldnt bother reading again.

I dont think banning is the way ridicule yes.

This situation was an awkward one and but not an impossible situation.

I think something else was at play within this thread given the way it was played out?

BY the way Norton,
I have two colonies left and as i am packing up beekeeping i think i shall kill off both colonies as i cant even give them away. How does that suit you?

BY the way Norton,
I have two colonies left and as i am packing up beekeeping i think i shall kill off both colonies as i cant even give them away. How does that suit you?
Very sorry to hear this, Bcrazy. I for one will miss your fantastic photos :( :(

Back