Hornet trap success

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watered down jam works fine if you don't have syrup :)

A lot of queen wasps about now ? , I have killed five this week in my garden,:eek: are they after my bees :rolleyes:

A lot of queen wasps about now ? , I have killed five this week in my garden,:eek: are they after my bees :rolleyes:

not yet... but if you don't get rid of them, their friends will be along later in the year in force.

Pete - I use a fruit juice syrup, the French supermarkets stock loads of varieties - not much help to you in North Wilts sorry:)

Perhaps Golden Syrup would work?

I'm sure I have a sticky, mouldering tin of it at the back of the cupboard...will make a new trap and see what happens :)

Ah, maybe not - will it attract the bees? Anybody? :(

Last edited:
Golden Syrup will definitely attract honey bees, it's inverted sugar.

Ingredients: cane sugar, water

Chris

Better buy prune juice does the trick !
It attracts the wasp but frightens the S**ts of the bees :biggrinjester:
VM

I don't put wasp traps anywhere near my hives, I think it attracts them.
I keep strong hives that can defend themselves.

:iagree:
One year I thought I'd get ahead of the game and put down traps early to catch wasps before they had a chance to build up! It was the worst year for wasps I've ever Had :(
VM

Perhaps Golden Syrup would work?

I'm sure I have a sticky, mouldering tin of it at the back of the cupboard...will make a new trap and see what happens :)

Ah, maybe not - will it attract the bees? Anybody? :(

I seem to remember reading that Golden Syrup contains HMF, which doesn't do bees any good. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

I seem to remember reading that Golden Syrup contains HMF, which doesn't do bees any good. I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong.

No i don't think it would,but may not make much odds, as they would soon drown in the trap anyway.

The thread is about HORNET traps - and when the Asian variety find your hive they are clever enough to tell their friends. A strong colony is then no defence, as they turn up - kidnap a passing worker and cart it off to be dismembered. Then they come back with more friends to do the same. The colony doesn't really get chance to show how strong it's defence is since this is going on out front in a couple of seconds. I think they must eventually realise as Ive seen about 20 guards on the landing board watching the carnage.

The fix then is to stand out front with the badminton racket and paf the visitors (don't miss!) but miss the home side. Eventually when you have knocked off all the Hornets who know where the lovely meat shop is you get a cup of tea.

Now I suppose if you can train the drones to play badminton...

Latest posts

Back