Honey Super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masimcox

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi All
I have a hive that wintered extremely well. I have a Brood and a half with plenty of stores and brood. I put on a super at Easter and it is now almost full wth 9 full frames with around half of them sealed. I have just put on a second super underneath this one, was that right? Should I remove some of the full frames instead? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Mark

we just remove full, shake tested, frames and replace as we go only adding supers if the Bees are close to working all the frames in super. We stored the full frames in bee proof store (an old industrial fridge)

Derek

we just remove full, shake tested, frames and replace as we go only adding supers if the Bees are close to working all the frames in super. We stored the full frames in bee proof store (an old industrial fridge)

Derek
As a hobby beekeeper i find load's of industrial fridges to fall back on..:D

Derek
Obviously no OSR or other quick crystallising Spring honey where you are!!!

If I did that they I would have a load of rock solid frames when I came to extract!

To the OP, it depends on your extraction setup, personally I like to do several supers at once but that's because I have several supers ready at the same time! In my area at this time of year any supers ready for extraction will be extracted asap to minimise the amount of crystallisation in the comb.

Latest posts

Back