Honey Super above or below the brood for overwintering?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What should I do in the spring?
Mike

This is the curse of having supers anywhere near the hives during Autumn, what the hell to do with unwanted stores in them or getting them tainted with thymol or just the added headache of having to jiggle them about come spring. In my book supers should be extracted and stored wet ready for the following season, no hassles.

Shouldn't that be 'prexactly'? I agree, a broodbox full of stores is enough. That is one reason I run14 x12s. I have often had instances of surplus stores to deal with in the spring but not a real problem as you just sort it, as and when it arises. No real hassle. Why anyone makes a real issue of it beats me.

I reckon it is better to leave the bees in peace until either they need attention, or if one wishes to encourage some of them to brood early. Simple decisions and simple manipulations is all that is required, either way.

This time of the year the simple requirements are no 'vain' space above the bees and no intervening queen excluders. Later, they may need feeding if the beek has not got it right, or if the winter UK weather makes it necessary. Why start crossing bridges which may not be there?

i'd like to thank all who talked about where to put supers and bb for the winter, this was the one thing my husband was in a quandry about and because of the differing opinions and advice he has been able to make up his mind, so thank you all..marianne

The beauty of the 14 x 12. No need to worry where to put the super as you don't need one, like RAB says :)

Shouldn't that be 'prexactly'? I agree, a broodbox full of stores is enough. That is one reason I run14 x12s. I have often had instances of surplus stores to deal with in the spring but not a real problem as you just sort it, as and when it arises. No real hassle. Why anyone makes a real issue of it beats me.

I reckon it is better to leave the bees in peace until either they need attention, or if one wishes to encourage some of them to brood early. Simple decisions and simple manipulations is all that is required, either way.

This time of the year the simple requirements are no 'vain' space above the bees and no intervening queen excluders. Later, they may need feeding if the beek has not got it right, or if the winter UK weather makes it necessary. Why start crossing bridges which may not be there?

MbC, Hivemaker, RAB
Sound advice and well explained. Thanks from the many 'students' who are often unsure what advice to follow. Would it be worth some kind of 'sticky' as it seems raise it's ugly head frequently?

Last edited:
I have made the decision, Leave well alone and sort things out in the spring. I had a look at the bees this afternoon and was surprised to see so much orange pollen and the bees landing tail down with nectar, What season to be back into bees.

Thanks for the help on this one.

Mike

Latest posts

Back