Honey Room Thoughts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueDrone

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a 10*8 T&G shed I+ would like to convert into a Honey room. I intend to build upto approximatly 30 Hives. Would this be a suitable space and best methods of making it meet food preperation standard. Electric and water no problem. Any plans out there?

Comments Please, just initial thoughts so happy to crash and burn at this stage.

Colin

My Uncle extracts in a 10 x 10 shed and he runs approx 75 hives he has ample room but he dose do it in batches of about 25 supers at a time. The shed is obviously all painted out with good quality gloss for the walls and a decent floor paint, he has a small water heater and a mesh screen for the door as it can get quite hot in there with the melter on. He dose however have a seperate storage room for storing honey. For me that would be a bit on the tight side but 30 hives shouldn't be a problem at all.
All the best AB

Before you start anything contact your local environmental health department and ask them what is acceptable. It will save you buying stuff you think will be ok only to be told when they visit that it isnt up to standard.
Another thing to think about is with 30 hives you may have up to 4/5 supers on each (in a good year) so a lot of space is needed.

4 to 5 supers would be nice or did you mean 4/5ths my normal harvest of late :) .

Don't really want to put myself on thier RADAR until I really do decide to go for it.

Ashleybee do you know if the painted wall meet standards?

Well you will get noticed soon enough with that amount of honey for sale. It is far easier to find out first, rather than get caught.

we built an 8 x 8 room, adequate, 2 stacks of supers = 20 supers, into uncapping tank. into spinner, honey into honey tank, supers when done out of way. got 60 hives going no probs.

Hi
Yes painted walls met the standard actually he lives just a few doors up from the local inspector, overall they were very impressed with his honey hut. I'll try and get some pics for you if some one would be kind enough to help me load them ( i tried before and didn't manage to ).
Don't forget to inform trading standards as some of their standards can vary a little bit eg. my Uncle has to have BEST BEFORE END date and my local inspector is happy with a USE BY or BEST BEFORE date not really sure how that makes a difference by they were fairly strict with it ( a bit off subject there sorry )
AB

:iagree:

As i said get in touch with your local dept as they can vary from area to area although I dont know why

Latest posts

Back