Honey-Gold and newbie question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azelkhunter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
26 hives + 6 new splits
Of my six new hives, two are out at my gold claim 50 miles northwest of Phoenix Arizona. Last weekend I checked on them hoping to add an excluder and a third super. But the girls in the past two weeks hadn't drawn out any comb yet. Down below is packed so tight with honey that they filled in a space I left by leaving one frame out. Brood city and bees galore at midday.
So what I did as an experiment was take the filled out lower level and put it up high or level 2 and put a super of undrawn frames below. It was a hot day and when I got home I began to wonder if I made a big mistake and was delirious at the time. So when I have a question...... You folks are where I come and I thank you for the resource.

Finman who i am sure will comment in a minute will be cheering!! That should certainly start the process! Certainly not a mistake, if you want to keep it as a super then make sure the queen isn't in it when you put it back over the QE but it sounds like the brood needs more room anyway! Double brood maybe?
E

Latest posts

Back