Honey 'churner' - any good?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought one. It certainly smashes crystallised honey in a bucket but it’s not soft set. Laurence from BMH bought it off me to do a review on his YouTube channel. You could look there.
Also, Laurence, like David, suggests using it for OSR honey.

I'm trying to unpack this. It seems that anything called 'creamed' honey does not claim to be 'set'. So if you're looking for set honey you'd be disappointed. But is creamed honey such a bad thing? If it's stable and spreadable, what's not to like? (That's not a question to a honey show judge!)
Not that most people care, but creamed honey is not on the reserved description listed in the honey label regulations. Mine is labelled as set. I try and keep at least 6 months of stock in buckets to ensure I can maintain product to the outlets i supply. By the time I jar, the honey is naturally set in the buckets so gets churned so I can jar it; it all I sell

Not that most people care, but creamed honey is not on the reserved description listed in the honey label regulations. Mine is labelled as set.
The Honey Regulations do not include creamed honey but neither do they include SET honey as a reserved description. In fact there don't seem to be any descriptions of honey that are ao-called 'reserved', at least not in the Honey Regs.

In addition to the main descriptions such as blossom, comb, Bakers etc, it is permitted to add a word about the floral or geographical source of the honey. It is also permissible to add other descriptions to the name on a label, such as 'clear', 'natural', etc (but apparently NOT 'raw') - always assuming the aim is to inform truthfully.

I think 'soft set' is a clear description. But so also is 'creamed', for honey that is not set, but ... creamed! The verb 'to cream' is to make food into a smooth, thick liquid. I've heard that the term has been banned because there's no cream in honey. Of course there isn't, but I doubt there has ever been any such ban.

I'm not planning on making a lot, and I have a good kitchen mixer (for bread) so I should maybe start with that. Which hooks / mixer blades do you use?
I use a heavy duty standard kitchen mixer, and process about 12 pounds of honey and seed at a time. I find that the dough hook mixes the honey very well without introducing a lot of air. I process it in the slowest speed. If it had a lower speed I’d use the standard mixing tool but the lowest speed is still pretty fast.

Latest posts

Back