Hoffman Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DulwichGnome

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
Hi all, just looking at David Cushmans site and found that Hoffman frames come in three sizes, 35,37 and 38mm. What size do you use?

Thanks.

Mike.

standard size is normaly 35mm, thornes sell theres at 35mm and others sell theres at 36 or 37 mm this is the reason why we suggest you have a dumby board in the brood box to allow for differances of sizes

i have seen many frame widths ranging from 30mm to 45 mm so just check one before you order 200 of the wrong sizes

35mm here, thats 12 frames in a box at a push mind.

Jez

i have seen many frame widths ranging from 30mm to 45 mm so just check one before you order 200 of the wrong sizes

Does it make a great difference to the bees? I understand that they might make brace comb if they too far apart but is there an optimum distance between the centres of comb?

Cheers.

Mike.

The different sizes is to do with the size of the brood box and how many frames you want to put in there, however the wider sizes give more room for the bees to build drone comb. My personal choice is to go with 11 frames at 35mm and a dummy board, although in my brood boxes I could put 12 plus a very slim dummy.

Back