Hmmm. Not happy

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Anyone care to guess how this might have happened?

apiary-mess-02.jpg

There's the roof (and crownboard still inside) in front of the lower brood box and floor, then most of the frames from the upper box, then the box itself, five to six feet from its original location. I don't want to immediately claim vandalism, but I'm struggling to see how this happens without a fair bit of force being involved or the top box being deliberately removed and the frames emptied out.

It has happened in the last two weeks. Couldn't inspect last weekend because the weather was poor and work left no time during the week, but at no time has it been windy enough to do this. Fortunately it was just a set of spare bits that I'd left there in case I needed them, so no harm done other than one frame where the foundation was torn out. (Possibly my last ever set of frames with full sheets of foundation.)

James

That's man made! okay, person made! The roof got dropped off in front and then the box, still being the right way up, was carried that distance away before having the frames taken out and thrown aside one by one.

I wondered if the stack had been pushed and slid off as there would be no propolis if they were just being stored... 🤔

Indeed. No propolis. I just can't get my head around how things might have to fall to end up in the way I discovered it though. Due to a lack of straps I have occasionally seen piles of kit that have been blown over or pushed over by deer in my home apiary. It has never looked as "tidy" as it does in the photo. I just don't know what to make of it really.

James

Is it possible something has pushed the top and the top boxes and lid rolled off, with the lid halting first and the top box doing a full rotation, shedding contents on the way? I would imagine it is unlikely but possible if say, a deer was rubbing the velvet from their antlers (probably the wrong time of year, certainly so for roe) or something like the afore-mentioned badger. Unlikely but conceivable IMO.

The only thing I would say is that the frames in the group would be in that position if the brood box had been flipped upside down then back upright. Ir doesseem unusual. The roof is also upside down which would be right. A bit of a mystery.

Indeed. No propolis. I just can't get my head around how things might have to fall to end up in the way I discovered it though. Due to a lack of straps I have occasionally seen piles of kit that have been blown over or pushed over by deer in my home apiary. It has never looked as "tidy" as it does in the photo. I just don't know what to make of it really.

James
Maybe one of these would help. Needs rechargeable batteries and TF card as well. I had initial problems setting date and recording pattern but it is now working as it should https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/25540441...uid=rdqAivo3SaG&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

As it appears to be the only one not racthet tied one is thinking summer holidays and kids getting up to mischief.
A dare and a good shove then scarper before they got stung .
Can't think it would be Dear but one can never be 100% sure.

Latest posts

Back