Hivemaker Autumn Thymol Treatment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckwyns

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Quite a few, wife says too many!!
Hello, have used Hivemakers recipe for the first time this year but used a folded up tissue instead as suggested by Admin. Could you tell me if the bees remove this tissue over time or is it just the fumes that do the job, many thanks.

The bee's remove the tissue as it drys out and loose is pungy (about 2 weeks usually). It's the fumes that do the job, hence why you put the monitoring board in and close the hive entrance and any other gaps. On my 3rd/last lot now, so far good results.

it is good though.

I had a glowing report from the bee inspecter (for the European disease research pilot project) on Wednesday praising me for my management and the effectiveness of my varroa control methods :hat:

He wants to refer to my apiarys as a reference of how it SHOULD be done during his talks to beekeeping clubs..

... which would not have been done without Hivemakers recipes not worthy

it is good though.

I had a glowing report from the bee inspecter (for the European disease research pilot project) on Wednesday praising me for my management and the effectiveness of my varroa control methods :hat:

He wants to refer to my apiarys as a reference of how it SHOULD be done during his talks to beekeeping clubs..

... which would not have been done without Hivemakers recipes not worthy

interesting..as our RBI and SBI just spout the NBU official line on Varroa Control and quote the five approved VMP ....apilife var, apistan,apiguard, thymovar or bayvarol.( or perhaps cascade Apivar subject to veterinary prescription)

...the whiff of a home made recipe like hive-makers or other home made thymol treatment sends them both in a long lecture of the need to use approved treatments and keep correct VMD records......but then one tub of apivar to get the batch numbers for the VMD records would work wouldn't it :rolleyes:

interesting..as our RBI and SBI just spout the NBU official line on Varroa Control and quote the five approved VMP ....apilife var, apistan,apiguard, thymovar or bayvarol.( or perhaps cascade Apivar subject to veterinary prescription)

maybe your BI's are hardline extremist BBKA folk, whilst mine is just a moderate! :)

...the whiff of a home made recipe like hive-makers or other home made thymol treatment sends them both in a long lecture of the need to use approved treatments and keep correct VMD records......but then one tub of apivar to get the batch numbers for the VMD records would work wouldn't it.
Yep, that's what we got (same RBI I think). Along with strong advice not to try unofficially imported bits and pieces such as wooden sticks from Portugal and various formulas from Eastern Europe. Most of the case against the home formulations appeared to be that beekeepers couldn't be trusted to measure the dosage, which seems a rather weak argument.

Reticent about oxalic acid treatment as not an 'approved product'. Discussion went round the usual arguments that since 'approval' costs money, generic products will never be approved because profits in selling small quantities of an 'approved' solution would never cover the costs if the ingredients are available cheaply for other purposes.

How far do other inspectors depart from the part line?

What would be nice is if those people making use of Hivemakers treatment (me for one) could have a standard questionnaire so we could all report on effects. Such as small amount of detail on hive to be treated area strength, daily mite drop, winter survival and long term effects, like when it became needed to treat again.

It may not be science but it could lead to that and be a little more solid when faced with others who have questions?

Yep, that's what we got (same RBI I think). Along with strong advice not to try unofficially imported bits and pieces such as wooden sticks from Portugal and various formulas from Eastern Europe. Most of the case against the home formulations appeared to be that beekeepers couldn't be trusted to measure the dosage, which seems a rather weak argument.

Reticent about oxalic acid treatment as not an 'approved product'. Discussion went round the usual arguments that since 'approval' costs money, generic products will never be approved because profits in selling small quantities of an 'approved' solution would never cover the costs if the ingredients are available cheaply for other purposes.

How far do other inspectors depart from the part line?

His views on Oxalic acid may change because other EU states have now approved an Oxalic winter treatment...

His statements last year leaned towards a change if other EU states approved an new treatment because under EU rules now that there is a VMP oxalic treament approved in europe that we should not do our own mixture and ass no VMP for Oxalic Acid authorized in England then we should use the EU approved ~Oxalxi treatment via ‘cascade’

vets have access to two VMP authorised in other EU member states.

OXUVAR (Germany) / ECOXAL (Spain).......i can see the cash registered now £££££££££££££

I do like his hat though :hat:

Last edited:

...the whiff of a home made recipe like hive-makers or other home made thymol treatment sends them both in a long lecture of the need to use approved treatments and keep correct VMD records......but then one tub of apivar to get the batch numbers for the VMD records would work wouldn't it :rolleyes:

Such an attitude would ensure the SBI was ignored by 90% of beekeepers round by ear :rolleyes:

Thymol

Last year i made up my own self priming syringe to treat with oxalic, which delivered the 5ml per seam of Bees. Unfortunately i used it to measure out Thymol for Oasis pads the Good Drstiston addvised that the thymol could ruin the rubber on the syringe in which he was correct. So this year i looked for a 20ml measure for thymol/oil Oasis Pads. The one i found was the Aquasure Mouth Wash bottle cap. so no more syringes to buy to measure out 20ml thymol/oil mixture. The mouth wash came in for good use aswell the Labradors breath has improved. Andy

that reminds me - need to pester local farmer/butcher for spare auto doser.

simple syringes not too bad with thymol mix - my one from last year (kept in jar with remnant) still mobile.

Is there any reason I'm missing as to why the HM recipe mixes by weight and dispenses by volume? 12g oil plus 8g of thymol, but 20ml per pad. I can see it might suit a large scale operation to dispense with an autosyringe (even if the seals need replacing periodically). What's the weight of thymol per 20ml dose on the pad? Or is 20g of mix close enough to 20ml to be a good approximation if we find it easier to do it all by weight?

it is just much easier to dispense using a 20ml disposable syringe - accurate dose, no drips.

"Is there any reason I'm missing as to why the HM recipe mixes by weight and dispenses by volume?"

because you can't measure the volume of thymol so have to go by weight BUT the end result is a solution which you can measure by volume.

"tampons (regular)"

aren't they rather expensive? or do you rely on the applicators to insert through crownboard holes?

i'll stick with my folded kitchen roll.

Latest posts

Back