Hive wrap

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

.B.

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I would rather be using poly, but wood is what I've got so... I'd like to check with those who are inclined to insulate whether the following way might not be a poor way of going about insulating the sides of the hive.

Wrapping 100mm rockwool around the sides, maybe sat on some screws fixed into the floor, and this then wrapped with the thin aluminium foil faced bubble wrap insulation you can get quite cheaply. I'd post a picture of it, but I don't have enough posts to do that yet.

The foil would have to go further up the sides than the rockwool and then tuck under the roof, to stop rain ingress.

Seems like a quick, cheap and easy way to improve things... or not?

Bonnet made of 50mm PIR with half an inch gap all round between it and the hive walls. 100mm on top

Attachments

• DSC_0055.jpg
    DSC_0055.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 79
Bonnets here. Secondhand insulation is cheap .

We have lots of insulated hives which are made from double plywood.

You need only insulated brood boxes. They stand woodpecker more over..

I wrapped a hive last winter using wide damp proof (DPC) material and I fixed strips of sponge to the DPC to align with the corners of the hive to keep the DPC tight and away from the hive surface. DPC isn't insulation material as such but I suspect that just keeping the weather off the outside of the hive makes a big difference to its energy consumption. The colony was strong in the spring and the hive showed no sign of mould. I also put insulation over the crown board.

The secret of insulation is not only to save winter food. The most valuable thing is that spring build up is strong in warm hives. Hive will be ready to forage earlier.

Thanks for your replies.

Am sure the bonnet way is a more efficient form of insulation. Looks quick and easy too. I'm keen to do something that I can leave in place all year around the brood area though, and not have to store somewhere.

Finman – Is what you are describing a double walled hive, like a WBC, or is the plywood fixed together to make one thicker wall?

MelC – Good to hear there was no mould, any increased wetness at all? I hope to keep the exterior walls dry and out of the wind like you say, but one worry was that damp would build up on the inside of the wrap and so make the whole thing redundant. Rockwool doesn't absorb water so I'm hoping it won't hold dampness against the hive walls.

Thanks for your replies.

Finman – Is what you are describing a double walled hive, like a WBC, or is the plywood fixed together to make one thicker wall?

For example you do a wall frame. Then you install 3 mm plywood on boath sides of frame. You may use only empty cavity or to fill the cavity with insulation material. Stone wool or glass wool are good.

A thick wall is cold.

Thanks for your replies.

Am sure the bonnet way is a more efficient form of insulation. Looks quick and easy too. I'm keen to do something that I can leave in place all year around the brood area though, and not have to store somewhere.

MelC – Good to hear there was no mould, any increased wetness at all? I hope to keep the exterior walls dry and out of the wind like you say, but one worry was that damp would build up on the inside of the wrap and so make the whole thing redundant. Rockwool doesn't absorb water so I'm hoping it won't hold dampness against the hive walls.

You leave the bonnet on all year

You leave the bonnet on all year

Wouldn't that mean the bonnet will be over the supers in the summer rather than around the brood area?

Maybe you add more celotex beneath the bonnet, but wouldn't that mean you end up with bonnets of many different sizes – ones for full size hives, ones for new colonies, and everything inbetween?

Wouldn't that mean the bonnet will be over the supers in the summer rather than around the brood area?

Maybe you add more celotex beneath the bonnet, but wouldn't that mean you end up with bonnets of many different sizes – ones for full size hives, ones for new colonies, and everything inbetween?

Mine are on just for the winter. I have a deep roof that covers about a super and a half and that is really good keeping the warmth in the top super if you are trying to get the bees to draw frames when the bonnets are off

Mine are on just for the winter. I have a deep roof that covers about a super and a half and that is really good keeping the warmth in the top super if you are trying to get the bees to draw frames when the bonnets are off

What do you use to fasten them together, ericA?
It looks like parcel tape, but I'm not confident it would survive a wet and windy winter on the Cathedral roof.

Dusty.

aluminium tape dusty Eg toolstation item number 53122
rub it down well, on cut ends cover the end first from one side to other as it will not stick to the foam only the aluminium cover !

What do you use to fasten them together, ericA?
It looks like parcel tape, but I'm not confident it would survive a wet and windy winter on the Cathedral roof.

Dusty.

Barbecue skewers and robust ally tape, not the cheap stuff.
They are all painted now, as you are right....the rain gets under the foil.

Latest posts

Back