hive tool

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedgerow Honey

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
173 national & 100 commercial
I've lost queen bees hive tool yesterday, I'm really in the dog house.

Any recommendations for a hive tool for a lefty ?.

I’m a lefty, makes no difference to me what hive tool I use, even used a pen knife when I forgot to take my hive tool with me.

She struggles with my standard/flat hive tool.

I bought TWO Mini Stainless Steel Hive Tool from B Equipment and Thornes (1 each).
https://bee-equipment.co.uk/products/mini-stainless-steel-hive-tool

I use one for my own hives and one for hives I mentor.
They are light, small and very easy to handle and fit in a pocket. Clean easily.

Much less cumbersome than a long one - and leverage so far has been OK for even the most severely propolised hive...

Highly recommended.

(although it says "great for the smaller hand", I take XL gloves so do not have small hands)

Thornes do a J tool (M5117) which is slightly smaller than the standard 'American' one, they state on the website it's 10" but I have quite a few and they are all 9" long, nice and comfirtable and fits so snugly in your hand you almost forget it's there(as I found out one day when I arrived home in the truck and realised I was still holding it :D)

I bought TWO Mini Stainless Steel Hive Tool from B Equipment and Thornes (1 each).

They are light, small and very easy to handle and fit in a pocket. Clean easily.

Much less cumbersome than a long one - and leverage so far has been OK for even the most severely propolised hive...

Highly recommended.

(although it says "great for the smaller hand", I take XL gloves so do not have small hands)

:yeahthat:

For all the same reasons.

Highly recommended.

Yes I like those
I have a few
Strangely they don’t seem to get lost as easily as the big ones.

Yes I like those
I have a few
Strangely they don’t seem to get lost as easily as the big ones.

I find as I grow older disgracefully , I tend to lose mine and then find it the next day.

I sprayed both of mine Dayglo Yellow to avoid losing them - but the paint does not survive washing soda....

Latest posts

Back