Hive Stand Pics

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chriszog

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
20+
About a year ago a very kind member on here sent me some pics with measurements on for a hive stand for a National Hive. For the life of me I can't find them anywhere or remember who the member was! Please help!!!

hive stands

I make mine very simply by using 3inch x 3inch legs (fence posts cut to 18inches ) then using 4inch x 2inch sides four of these to match the size of hive) they can be single hive stands or a multiple, dead easy and very strong when all glued and screwed together.
I can send a pic if you want.

Dave

I've started making mine from cheap stud work timber, £1.95 for a 2.4m length from Homebase, takes approximately 4 lengths for a double National size so About £8.00 each stand, braced between the legs they take my weight so are sturdy enough.
I plan on making a few more before the spring for my other apiary site and to replace to dodgy looking triple on the left of this picture, I say dodgy but it held three supered hives full in the Autumn.

IMG_3650_zpsew3tlapu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
I use 3x2 tanalised CLS (a step up from your studwork timber) a little pricier that the standard but will last for years without further treating. Avoid homebase and go to a proper builder's merchant and it works out much cheaper anyway.

50mm x 25mm (2" x 1") tiling (used for roofing) batten is usually the cheapest treated timber at building merchants. I find it's plenty strong enough for hive stands etc. Some I made 20 years ago are still going strong, as are some car ramps built at the same time.

Please stand your hive stands on slabs. If ones leg sinks in to the ground they will fall over.

50mm x 25mm (2" x 1") tiling (used for roofing) batten is usually the cheapest treated timber at building merchants. I find it's plenty strong enough for hive stands etc.

I wouldn't like to risk it with half a dozen supers each on two hives

What's the optimal height to have the Base of a hive at? I'm fairly tall and after inspecting a load of hives my back often aches.

What's the optimal height to have the Base of a hive at? I'm fairly tall and after inspecting a load of hives my back often aches.

I'm just short of six foot - My stands are 18" high (then a few extra inches due to the deep floors I make) and even with my bad back I'm pretty comfortable doing multiple inspections with them at that height.

From ground to top bar is 29 inches. That works for me with 14x12. WBC hives are way to low for me and find it better to work them on my knees Do what kids do, bend your knees and not your back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm just over 6ft. Currently my hives are on slabs on breeze blocks in one site and pallets at the other. It's on my winter to do list to convert the uneven pallets to slabs. From what your saying I think I should aim for a height of about 50-60 cm. Thanks

I've tried doing it on my knees which is okay, but not so nice if bees get annoyed at which point I'm greatfull of the extra arms length standing provides.

Back