Hive quiet Part 2

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marmite

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Sorry if I have contributed to the confusion but thought I ought to start again.
I have 2 hives the strong one has a brood and a half (I moved one of the full supers (mainly rapeseed I think)downstairs about 2 weeks ago. This hive had its second dose of Apilife var on 1st october. I have been feeding for about a week and they are still taking it. The other super has been removed and stored as a friend of mine reckons he can use his wax extractor or something like that to release the wax and honey at a later date.
The second weak hive has no supers, These have also been removed for later extraction. The bees have been treated and fed the same as hive 1 and have stopped taking food. This is the hive with no brood or larva.

So now we have to read this thread and at least the first post of the other thread to understand what the question is... Do us all a favour and copy over the other first post. The answer you got, according to my reading of it, was to insulate and stop feeding for a while. With good weather and a bit of luck the colony has time to recover. If it cannot (ie no eggs/larvae soon), it has to be united with the stronger colony, which might not be a bad idea anyway, depending. (A local BKA member can opine perhaps). The unite obviously has to be before the weather shuts, so you need to keep an eye on it but FOR NOW it looks as though you have time. And you should insulate the top and sides but not the bottom.

<ADD>If anyone thinks I have summarised wrongly, please jump in</ADD>

Last edited:
i would take the treatment off and make sure there is space for the queen to lay.
try and do varroa treatment earlier .

she probably stopped laying because of the treatment.

if it doesn't improve over the next few weeks then make the decision about what to do next unite or whatever.

the bees raised over the next few weeks will be the ones that take the hive through winter .

as far as the osr honey goes least of your worries atm.

Admin ... can you help tidy up these two threads ... it's going to get even more confusing now with this new thread split off !! TTLTB is right ....

That makes two of us.
Why does everyone get so uptight? We have all got to learn.
I'm also a home brewer and people on the homebrew forums are very chilled-perhaps a few beers or a drop of mead could be helpful.:laughing-smiley-014

That makes two of us.
I'm also a home brewer and people on the homebrew forums are very chilled-perhaps a few beers or a drop of mead could be helpful.:laughing-smiley-014

:winner1st:

That makes two of us.

Welcome marmite. You either love it or you hate it, eh?
I suppose it's a bit early for you to start putting people on "ignore", but after a while you'll probably find it helps. I don't drink alcohol so I find lots of tea (with honey in it) and the ignore button are the way forward....

No-one's fired up, but this is the best resource on the web and confusion makes it harder to use.

I quite agree and I know that my original thread went off at a tangent. But arn't you the one getting confused. The reference to 26th October was by ail 901 and mine referred to the second dose of treatment.You had me down for both quotes.

I quite agree and I know that my original thread went off at a tangent. But arn't you the one getting confused. The reference to 26th October was by ail 901 and mine referred to the second dose of treatment.You had me down for both quotes.

Yes, but it was an easy mistake to make and the threads intertwine.

Sorry and all that, but I fail to see how quotes taken from different posters can end up attributed to just one of them. I initially thought either manipulation in the reply (at the editing stage), hoping nobody would notice, or simple blatant mis-reading of the posts.

Only you know where you c*cked it up.

RAB

Sorry and all that, but I fail to see how quotes taken from different posters can end up attributed to just one of them. I initially thought either manipulation in the reply (at the editing stage), hoping nobody would notice, or simple blatant mis-reading of the posts.

Only you know where you c*cked it up.

RAB

So I failed to see that an on-topic post was a hijack not from the OP. So ban me. Really.

Does it matter?-I still think my medicine of a few pints,a glass of mead, or a cup of tea(with honey of course) is the answer.
I've always thought that texting, e-mails and forum posts are never a substitute for good conversation.Often the written medium results in more questions than answers because the recipient interprets the message in a different way to what the writer intended.
It is easy to forget sometimes when advising a learner that somethings are not common sense but had to be learnt albeit in the very early stages. Bees are also not like chickens where you know they need water and food and let you know when they are hungry.

Does it matter?-I still think my medicine of a few pints,a glass of mead, or a cup of tea(with honey of course) is the answer.
I've always thought that texting, e-mails and forum posts are never a substitute for good conversation.Often the written medium results in more questions than answers because the recipient interprets the message in a different way to what the writer intended.
It is easy to forget sometimes when advising a learner that somethings are not common sense but had to be learnt albeit in the very early stages. Bees are also not like chickens where you know they need water and food and let you know when they are hungry.

Exactly; I hate to think what the mood's like around here after a BAD year :). Hope your plan is going well.

Latest posts

Back