Hive locations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mr Moderator,I wasn't getting huffy but, as I pointed out, bees do not like strong magnetic radiatrion and are very quick to show you if you should stick them near or under power cables etc.Down south a few years ago one of our beginners found a lovely spot under some pylons,they were the nastiest bees I ever looked at.When at my syuggestion they were moved to another spot,they became some of the gentlest bees you could wish for.

Thanks John for not taking my post the wrong way :cheers2:

Mr Moderator? my friends call me Mark.

Regards your post about bees that are bad tempered and then moved from pylons I have read a few times were beekeeepers have had the very same experience,yet research says it makes no difference,I bet the power companies could produce a paper saying that the pylon site had very little forage causing the bees to be bad tempered while the new site was in the middle of a large garden centre.:(

I well remember Walter Marshall (as he was then) saying there was no evidence to demonstrate any danger from high voltage transmission lines (not his exact words, but indicated it was CEGB 'non-evidence'). Only about twenty years later, after Sir Walter was dead, did the evidence of the dangers of these strong electromagnetic fields become well proven. Words like 'we found no conclusive evidence to suggest' always need to be read very carefully. Not many of the general public take enough notice of the wordology used. If they did, certain job holders would soon be sorted out as devious, to say the least.

That was always my comment - funny that the beekeepers know that the bees don't like it, but it has absolutely no affect on anything/anyone living nearby...

Regards, RAB

Thanks John for not taking my post the wrong way :cheers2:

Mr Moderator? my friends call me Mark.

Regards your post about bees that are bad tempered and then moved from pylons I have read a few times were beekeeepers have had the very same experience,yet research says it makes no difference,I bet the power companies could produce a paper saying that the pylon site had very little forage causing the bees to be bad tempered while the new site was in the middle of a large garden centre.:(

O.K Mark,the bees were moved about 5 miles away to another farm location,same foraging prospects.The best site I ever had was in the back garden in the middle of Leamington Spa,we were surrounded by Lime trees and Robinia Pseudoacacia .I used to get about 60lbs of lime honey as well as 50 plus lbs of rape when I took them into the country.Up here we get a little rape honey,our main flow is the sycamore.There is heather if you are prepared to move the bees but we've had such wet weather recently that I've done more feeding than harvesting. I recon about 30lbs is a good crop in my location.

Latest posts

Back