Hive Inspection Kit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john t

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What items do people have in their inspection kit, i thought it may be interesting to compare notes and for beginners to get an idea,as to what are essentials.
smoker + fuel+lighter ,queen cage, marking cage+marker,nitrile gloves,hive tools, bee brush, note book+pencil,screwdrivers+few screws,scrapers,paint brush, knife, frame spacers, gaffa tape

i keep my kit in a home made carry box which has a few compartments

Attachments

• IMG_2760.jpg
    IMG_2760.jpg
    49.2 KB
This newbee has the same apart from the screwdriver, screws and gaffa tape.

Also as well as a notebook I've made some inspection sheets with boxes for each frame & notes of what to look for, so I can note what I see where, as I found it difficult to remember everything afterwards that I'd seen. So much to learn...

Smoker+fuel+lighter
hive tool+spare
notebook+pen
turnandmark cage+marker pen
box of coloured drawing pins to mark expansion of broodnest
liquid chalk pen to write brief inspection notes on back of hive
small bucket with lid for burr comb

Most important is bucket of water, with bicarbonate or washing up liquid and bleach and a stainless steel scoured to clean everything up between hives and it the end

Most important is bucket of water, with bicarbonate or washing up liquid and bleach and a stainless steel scoured to clean everything up between hives and it the end

i admire your diligence, the best my hive tool gets is a flash over with a blowtorch,

Between hives? I could understand apiaries but what about moving frames around?

My hive tools are kept in a container of washing soda solution between apiaries as the BI does.

I can add a can of Fabi spray for emergencies and a can of air freshener for combining.
E

i admire your diligence, the best my hive tool gets is a flash over with a blowtorch,

Am doing the general husbandry assessment this year, so trying to get into the habit of doing it by the book. Apiary has never been so clean or organised. However at least I know where everything is and not have to rummage through four sheds, and also, being clean the stuff is just ready to pop on. Might even keep up the habit!

Re the kit I would dump the brush as in my experience and I know some will disagree but it infuriates the bees faster than anything.

PH

Re the kit I would dump the brush as in my experience and I know some will disagree but it infuriates the bees faster than anything.

PH

:iagree:

Only time I use a brush is to remove bees from queen rearing frames with open cells on

What items do people have in their inspection kit, i thought it may be interesting to compare notes and for beginners to get an idea,as to what are essentials.
smoker + fuel+lighter ,queen cage, marking cage+marker,nitrile gloves,hive tools, bee brush, note book+pencil,screwdrivers+few screws,scrapers,paint brush, knife, frame spacers, gaffa tape

i keep my kit in a home made carry box which has a few compartments

My inspection kit comprises:
a hive tool
My mobile phone
An epipen
A printed copy of my hive records (permanent copy stored on computer)
A pen
A bee suit
a box of Nitrile gloves

If I am going to do a specific task, like queen rearing, I'll also take things specifically needed for that task:
Nicot cells
Grafting frames/bars
Chinese Grafting tool
Headband magnifier
LED torch
Carricell (if collecting sealed cells)

I rarely use a smoker so often don't even have it in the car (my wife complains about the smell). I'll only take it if I know I have to deal with an unknown quantity e.g. a captured swarm.

A goosewing (or even a feather) is much better than a brush. I've even been known to use a handful of grass when I had nothing else to hand

Turkey feathers are good but become encrusted with propolis. I prefer fresh every time grass.. Or nettles - bees clear v quickly with nettles.

My inspection kit comprises:
a hive tool
My mobile phone
An epipen
A printed copy of my hive records (permanent copy stored on computer)
A pen
A bee suit
a box of Nitrile gloves

If I am going to do a specific task, like queen rearing, I'll also take things specifically needed for that task:
Nicot cells
Grafting frames/bars
Chinese Grafting tool
Headband magnifier
LED torch
Carricell (if collecting sealed cells)

I rarely use a smoker so often don't even have it in the car (my wife complains about the smell). I'll only take it if I know I have to deal with an unknown quantity e.g. a captured swarm.

Have a couple L200 pickups and a Landrover 110 defender here... these vehicles are only used for beekeeping purposes and have in them just about everything that is ever likely to be needed.

Last edited:

PH

PH you are right, its been in my kit for a long time and was very rarely used and then only on the odd occasion for a stray bee in a super,
its good to have a de-clutter,

I'll add:

White gloves for under nitriles
eucalyptus oil
Frame grabber
Blowtorch (Easier to light the smoker than lighter fluid)
Bungee cord (for use a belt around the bottom of my jacket)
Anti Histamine
Couple of cardboard rolls just in case the smoker dies

In the winter:
Thermometer as I leave a probe in the hive so I can solve my curiosity every now and then and check they are still alive

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back