Hive gone NUTS

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbie & Jans Bees

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I pop up to the orchard to feed the small hives as stores have been low, i needed to put a crown board on a hive as the other one was damaged. Open the hive and bam stung through my suite twice in the same spot and the rest of the hive just pinging at my face and to think I was feeding them as well. when we check them friday we could not find a queen no eggs or larve, my question is this how long will it be until they produce a queen? or do I need to introduce a queen?

I'm fairly new so take suggestions as you will!

1. Rubbish weather and low stores could have temporarily put queen on a go slow. My bees are a little grumpy too (I've just posted similar question!). So it COULD just be the weather.
2. Queen could have perished, use advise in 3 to find out!
3. Suggest putting a frame of eggs in from another hive and checking back in 3 - 4 days time to see if they make queen cells or not.

Hope that helps.

If you dont have any eggs or brood the bees wont be able to make a queen. If you can get hold of a frame with eggs and open brood get it in asap. Or if you can beg a 2" square of eggs off someone, simply cut the shape out of one of your frames and insert the piece. If you are Q- they will make one out of this. It worked for me earlier in the season.

What notty says is right. Did you warn them you were coming with smoke or just remove old crown board. Sudden light and they will attack. Let them know you are coming with smoke in the entrance and a minutes delay. Open gently with a little more smoke
E

If the queen had suddenly expired, they would have immediately made emergency cells, so a queen is likely there.

You certainly need to ascertain whether Q+ or - before you even think about introducing a queen.

Surely if the queen has died in the hive- or even damaged -so cannot lay she is still possibly emanating pheromones so they may not jump to making a new queen soon enough i.e. not make emergency cells soon enough to be less that scrub.

Put in a frame of eggs from other hive to see if they respond.

Pinging stingy bees usually means they feel they are at risk - (queenless or getting stores stolen!)

I am convinced our bees think its late autumn and are a tad grumpy to say the least. I am wondering how they will react when a super full of honey disappears in the next few days.:eek:

One of my hives last week,I couldnt find the queen after a brief look, weather was closing in. There was a lot of empty cells and little open brood, I thought queenless as they were also agressive but this week all is well brood, eggs and I found the queen!

What notty says is right. Did you warn them you were coming with smoke or just remove old crown board. Sudden light and they will attack. Let them know you are coming with smoke in the entrance and a minutes delay. Open gently with a little more smoke
E

"Sudden light and they will attack". Really?

Virtually every hive here can be safely opened with no smoke on an average day. Yesterday was NOT an average day...first foraging day in three or four so some smoke sensible but sense says leave alone to forage.

Many beekeepers do not use entrance smoke...drives the bees up the frames only to try and drive them down again with smoke under the crown board. Crack board, smoke, wait, open.

"Sudden light and they will attack". Really?

Virtually every hive here can be safely opened with no smoke on an average day. Yesterday was NOT an average day...first foraging day in three or four so some smoke sensible but sense says leave alone to forage.

Many beekeepers do not use entrance smoke...drives the bees up the frames only to try and drive them down again with smoke under the crown board. Crack board, smoke, wait, open.

:iagree: Opened four hives without smoke yesterday because we were looking for queens, the only hive that was grumpy was one that is anyway.

Big Thank you

all the advice has been very useful i have got some hives that are very quite if i take a frame off the nice ones and they produce a queen from that will the nice quite geans be passed on?:party:

E

Ok let me qualify.....I find that if you suddenly open a hive of tetchy bees they will understandably fly at you. All I was suggesting is to let the know you are there. I suppose I could have said let them know you are coming by drifting a little smoke across the entrance which immediately alerts them that something different is happening and try not to move things suddenly by for example just lifting off the crown board and letting sudden light flood in. If you handle your bees gently and with some understanding then they are more likely to be 'friendly'. You may well have bees that need no smoke and don't move or react when you open them up but we are not all so blessed, therefore tips to handle them need to be tried and when you find what works for you .... Great!
I agree, I was a little brief with my answer, sorry.
Thanks for all the other tips for the OP ...... Try a few and see what works for you..good luck
E

all the advice has been very useful i have got some hives that are very quite if i take a frame off the nice ones and they produce a queen from that will the nice quite geans be passed on?

Adding a test frame: If there is a queen, no queencells will be made. If there is no queen the bees will try to make a queencell so you need to put in a frame with eggs and small larvae. After 5 - 7 days, remove all quencells except one open one where you can see the larva in a pool of royal jelly. (White sludgy stuff). The resultant daughters after mating will have their mothers genes and also those of a number of drones. You can never guarantee the temperament of the resultant offspring but generally the daughter queens are broadly similar to mum.
There are plenty of exceptions to this of course.

if the colony is low in stores, due to poor weather or poor foraging, syrup will help the bees feed the queen larvae.

Sudden light and they will attack.
E

Interesting...
I have just installed clear crownboards in all of my hives.

Opened one last weekend and was peering down through the (newly installed and still empty) super, trying to see what was happening beneath the QE.
Nothing for about 15 seconds, then I heard something of a roar...

They were clearly most unhappy, and saw me off in a very unfriendly manner...Was it the light?

(Perhaps they saw my face through the veil and clear crownboard...:biggrinjester: )

Interesting...
I have just installed clear crownboards in all of my hives.

They were clearly most unhappy, and saw me off in a very unfriendly manner...Was it the light?

No. Perhaps a third of my hives have polycarb boards. If they weren't so dear I'd have them on all of them.

Alternative strategies

You are not alone! I had 8 of 10 colonies survive the winter but I had to recommence feeding in spring and right through the rape season as the appalling weather prevented normal foraging and none of the colonies built up bee numbers. I routinely monitor for potential swarms but due to depleted numbers there was no overcrowding and I was complacent. My main concern was keeping the colonies viable, fed and dry. Nevertheless in June every one of the hives swarmed. If there was a two hour break in the rain one of the hives would be in the process of swarming. It was as if the weather panicked them. Sadly, one swarm drowned overnight clinging to a branch 30 feet above its own hive.
On inspection five had queen cells but three did not. All were left severely depleted.
Two of the hives are now light but back to normal in terms of eggs and brood.
The three without queen cells are now without any brood or eggs. As there is no sign, so far as I can see, of a queen I have concluded these are Q- and as there is a total lack of all stages of brood this has been the case for over 3 weeks. To raise a new queen to start of laying from an egg would take up to about 4 weeks ie to late July. Its first eggs would mature into worker bees in mid to late August while meanwhile the colonies would be shrinking due to attrition. For this reason, In the case of two of these hives, I am introducing mated queens from Romania from a trusted supplier (Becky’s B******z). The other has been topped up with a small swarm that conveniently arrived in my apiary today.
In another hive I have at least found the queen so it wasn’t drowned on its mating flight, if it had one. I am going to observe but have no plan for further action apart from feeding until/unless no eggs appear over the next 2 weeks in which case I will remove the queen to a nucleus box and combine the colony with a queen right hive.
One hive has a number of queen cells not yet emerged and the other has empty queen cells. As there are no eggs and no queens found (though the latter could be quicker than the beekeeper), a queen cell will be transplanted to the hive that has empty cells though there is a slight risk it will be destroyed if a queen is present or a swarm may ensue. This assumes the queens haven’t emerged during tonight. They will be monitored to ensure egg laying starts within 2 weeks of emergence.
I mention all this because it illustrates most of the choices you might consider and because I want to moan about how awful this year is for bees and their servants. I hope it helps.

Latest posts

Back