Hive entrance direction

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starbuck99

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Just a quick question guys!!

I am about to position my new hives, it seems best for me to have them facing a south west/west position, this due to the restriction on the space available and is best for me but not necessarily the bees!

I know south east maybe better but this will restrict my access from the back of the hive or can I tend to them from the front?

Is the any reason why I can open the hives standing from the front?

I want to construct a 4x4 hive stand and concrete in 6 posts but want to get it right first time if that makes sense.

I will be taking a bee course ASAP but need to sort this out first, bees are arriving soon!! :)

Thanks for your replies in anticipation!

I wouldnt stand in front of a hive when inspecting bees around the trouser area is very distracting.

Don't concrete the post in, the chance of you getting it right first time is unlikely.

The normal practice is to warm the hive early, to get them off to an early start.

In my experience any bees returning to the hive when you are standing in front of it will settle on your legs.... They fly off when you move tho. Stand just off to the side if you cant get to the hive directly form the side or back.

I want to construct a 4x4 hive stand and concrete in 6 posts but want to get it right first time if that makes sense.
Part of the Olympic Village perhaps?

Thanks good advice what about my direction issue south west or west?

I want to construct a 4x4 hive stand and concrete in 6 posts

Seems like 'over-kill' to me. All my hives have individual stands. I'm not against double or triples if that suits, but concreting them in is a bit OTT, IMO.

I can choose to work from the side, If I so wish.

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies, I will make a hive stand, couple of rails and fixed posts to stand my hives on, I'm not looking for an OTT solution just a nice stand that is practical and reasonably fit for purpose!
Thanks again.

Couple of years ago I had hives facing in all four directions. The direction made no difference at all to when the bees emerged each morning as I turned three of the four of them though 180' just to confirm over several visits. IMHO its more down to your bees than the direction of the entrance or the amount of sunlight.

But as a general rule all my hives are facing E,S or W now.

Thanks for your replies, I will make a hive stand, couple of rails and fixed posts to stand my hives on, I'm not looking for an OTT solution just a nice stand that is practical and reasonably fit for purpose!
Thanks again.

I use a couple of concrete blocks (18 x 9 x 6) and a couple of 3x3" bearers as a double stand

Old country saying "never stand behind a horse or in front of a beehive". One of the greatest difficulties encountered by beginners is trying to see eggs and brood in comb. Best if entrance is facing east/south east; ideally, examinations are carried out in middle of day when sun or light should be coming from behind enabling detailed examination of brood comb while holding it over the hive.

I have hives in all directions and the one that always gets a good early start is facing south west, most of my others are south east.

In hive opening direction it is important that the hive entrance gets sun.
Entrance may be to south, east or to west.

In winter when bees fly in ultimate temperature, it is good that sun awakes bees if they drop to ground.

Sometimes I keep direction to north in summer that sun does not heat ventilating bees in hot site, like on cliff in a forest.

More important is the hive gets sun the whole day. Entrance direction is so difficult.

This summer I have several hives which have entrance to west and east in same hive. Bees love to use entrance where afternoon sun shines.

Latest posts

Back