Hive entrance bee question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Azelkhunter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
26 hives + 6 new splits
I'm two months and six hives into this exciting world of bees. However two weeks ago I started two new hives from "packages". In the past two weeks both new hives have faired very well and filled five frames up with honey,pollen and I saw some capped brood in one frame. Here's the question, two hours after sunset one hive has five to eight bees guarding the entrance, while hive two has 200-300 bees outside. By sunrise they are all inside but to see that many outside makes me wonder if something is up.

On warm days maybe after collecting a lot of nectar not that unusual. As to why, I dont really dont know.. Some say the hive is too hot, Maybe they are just making room for the bees to circulate air to ripen honey... Ripening honey needs lots of heat and air movement. Maybe, the circulating of air to ripen honey, means the hive smell extends the boundary of the colony to outside, so the bees wander outside without noticing its outside....

Last edited:
The problem is that hive is full of stores and no space for brood.
The colony is soon at the end of its life if you do not arrange more space for brood.

Have you blooming canola fields near bye or what, which fills the hive?

Have you feeded much the hive?

You should extract the combs that they are free to reuse in the hive.
Then stuff to the freezener and feed the stuff back to hive when colony is bigger.

In these cases colony swarms and escapes if they have no space to lay.

Last edited:
These hives are in Phoenix Arizona where the temperature has already topped 102F or almost 39C where many of you use that strange Celsius way. There is just about every tree and flower in bloom right now and I border the desert where mesquite and palo verde is full of bees. Then houses border opposite where everyone has some type of flower planted. In a month however, the temperature will be 115 (46C) and blooming plants become a little scarcer.

On the hive already too full sounds interesting and I can make room easily. Hive 1 is as full but bees don't hang outside for hours after dark. I'll watch tonight and check say, four hours after dark and see if they still are there.

These hives are in Phoenix Arizona where the temperature has already topped 102F or almost 39C where many of you use that strange Celsius way. There is just about every tree and flower in bloom right now and I border the desert where mesquite and palo verde is full of bees. Then houses border opposite where everyone has some type of flower planted. In a month however, the temperature will be 115 (46C) and blooming plants become a little scarcer.

On the hive already too full sounds interesting and I can make room easily. Hive 1 is as full but bees don't hang outside for hours after dark. I'll watch tonight and check say, four hours after dark and see if they still are there.

i hope these hives are in the shade, with plenty of water nearby

i hope these hives are in the shade, with plenty of water nearby

:iagree:

Overheating will cause bees to hang around outside.

... almost 39C where many of you use that strange Celsius way
I happen to think that, in this age of intercontinental computer networking being taken for granted, and robotic planetary exploration being an almost humdrum business, there is something wonderfully, deeply, ... quaint about a people that want to hang onto a temperature scale where zero was the coldest that a very long-dead scientist thought could possibly be achieved, and where 100 was defined as the blood heat of a cow, measured by a thermometer up its backside.
The bizarre thing is that the people that sent the robots and twitter away the most internet bandwidth, are also the very same ones that are wedded to the cow's backside temperature scale.

:iagree:

Overheating will cause bees to hang around outside.

I happen to think that, in this age of intercontinental computer networking being taken for granted, and robotic planetary exploration being an almost humdrum business, there is something wonderfully, deeply, ... quaint about a people that want to hang onto a temperature scale where zero was the coldest that a very long-dead scientist thought could possibly be achieved, and where 100 was defined as the blood heat of a cow, measured by a thermometer up its backside.
The bizarre thing is that the people that sent the robots and twitter away the most internet bandwidth, are also the very same ones that are wedded to the cow's backside temperature scale.

Bl**dy Hell!!!
Fancy the temperature of a Cows Fart being the same as that of Boiling Water..... Hoo woulda thunk it???

the temperature has already topped 102F

Hi Azelk

welcome to this forum, Yes they're overheated ....do you have open mesh floors on your hives? Anyway, stacking a couple of supers on top (over a queen excluder) should resolve the situation

good luck, Richard

(ps Happy memories of a few weeks at Colorado Springs!)

Hang on... Are you seriously trying to tell us a cows anus is 100 degrees Celsius??

If you are I am calling it! Rubbish.

Yes they're overheated ....do you have open mesh floors on your hives? Anyway, stacking a couple of supers on top (over a queen excluder) should resolve the situation...

not conclusive ... you can get this at 20C in the UK on open mesh or solid floors...

Bee behaviour is ... complicated

Last edited:
Derek

From his description I would bet my bottom dollar that that is the cause.

Obviously the problem may be caused by gophers or rattlesnakes having built a nest in the bb......but my suggestion/advice won't make the situation worse!

derek

it's obviously a problem for him - or he wouldn't have asked

makes me wonder if something is up.

Last edited:
Cows arse is 100 in Fahrenheit.
Boiling water is 100 in Celcius/Centigrade.
NOT the same ...

But don't worry, its not just you. Our former colonies did lose a Mars probe as a result of confusion between different measurement scales ...
http://www.wired.com/thisdayintech/2010/11/1110mars-climate-observer-report/

It's not me at all - I don't think.

The Fahrenheit scale is generally thought to come from 0 being the freezing point of brine (or more acurately the lowest temperature at equilibrium of Ice and Brine I think - although some other chemicals might also be involved)
and 100 being (Human) body temperature (although not particularly accurate).

Plus some jiggery-pokery adjusting the scale about a bit to line up with other scales and better accuracy (leaving body temp slightly off of the 100 mark).

Then some more jiggery-pokery to set fixed points at (pure) water freezing point (or triple point) and boiling point.... as used for Centigrade/Celcius. (with a bit more jiggery-pokery to lose the odd decimal places from 0 Kelvin not quite fitting either scale)

I think the Cows *rse is an urban myth.......
but I think it has been proven that if you hold a lit match behind a Cow and look very closely........... you are likely to get frazzled eye-brows ;-)

Bl**dy Hell!!!
Fancy the temperature of a Cows Fart being the same as that of Boiling Water..... Hoo woulda thunk it???

Are you saying it's bull....

Adding super

If I add the super to get the heat higher, would I put frames in, leave out or doesn't matter?

Latest posts

Back