Hidden queen cell

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi all,
Right......Let's get things into perspective shall we ? Why? Because I'm not going to get embroiled in any petty arguments with other members and especially not the forum's moderators. Even though I've been a member here since 2012, I still consider myself a newby and do not wish to alienate its members. I'm here to make friends not enemies.

I made the original post because I thought that it would help those less experienced beeks to see how devious the little tikes can be when they construct QCs. They don't do it on purpose by the way....It's just their nature.

It is entirely irrelevant wether the QC was perfectly fresh or was passed it's 'sell by date'. It was the LOCATION and the steps that the bees will occasionally go to in placing QCs in the least expected places that was important for the education of the less experienced.

I did NOT write the post and ask questions as to the good or bad things about that particular frame or indeed the nuc in general. I therefore have difficulty in understanding why some have chosen to go slightly off topic and post comments as to the 'whys and wherefores' of the status of the frame, nuc or indeed the bees.

So......Even though I don't feel obliged to protect my position here, I'll answer some questions raised.......

1) The queen that was in the cell was a queen and not a worker that had been sealed back in. I do know what a queen looks like.
2) I was fully aware of the nuc's shortcomings and to be totally honest I'm surprised that the queen was still laying at all given the circumstances that we currently have over here in West Wales. As an aside, the majority of my colonies are not only suffering from an extreme lack of nectar but more importantly a lack of pollen. (Approx. 70% of my queens have completely shut down laying for at least the last 4 weeks). At this particular time, most of the other beeks in my area are suffering the same situation.
3) Wether the frame had some very small sacbrood is entirely irrelevant. Why bring it up when the question raised was 'could you find the QC' totally fails me?
4) The comment made that "the nuc also looks very poor, bees not on the brood lack of stores, a few dodgy cells and would suspect high varroa" is also entirely irrelevant. As I explained in my earlier post, I'd shaken the majority of the bees off the frame. How else would I get a good educational pic? Therefore, how can you state that the bees were not on the brood totally fails me? A lack of stores? That's why I regularly inspect my colonies. A few dodgy cells? What exactly are 'dodgy cells' precisely? High varroa? Can you please identify those bees that appear to be suffering from varroa damage? Why? Because there was an extremely low level of varroa mites in the nuc and also the parent hive. It was well within acceptable limits.

Now....It's like this.....I'd like to reiterate my comments from my earlier post and I quote...."If it helps others that are less experienced....I'm cool with that......." Unquote.

Moving forwards.........When I post (wether starting a thread or answering a question) on this forum I will never, and I repeat NEVER, intentionally knock any other person's posts, comments or other media. Maybe, just maybe, others should adopt the same sentiment.

Finally......my last words........If I haven't got anything good to say, then I fully intend to keep my mouth (or rather keyboard) firmly shut.

Yes I eventually found it.....yippeeee👏
Thanks to Rockingod for posing the teaser, “it wis a wee beauty”.
PS my pal down south from me in Fife complained this season about lack of pollen. I have been fortunate as growing fruit being my main ‘thing’ I suggested to her she moves them to a fruit farmers land in the Spring just before the OSR.

Attachments

• 15B713E5-A4FA-4468-AE21-D60BF6077331.jpeg
    15B713E5-A4FA-4468-AE21-D60BF6077331.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 3
  • CD91D981-F514-4BCE-84FD-360D355B7B7D.jpeg
    CD91D981-F514-4BCE-84FD-360D355B7B7D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • 699BCB55-74DD-490C-866D-D76321426B5C.jpeg
    699BCB55-74DD-490C-866D-D76321426B5C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Yes I eventually found it.....yippeeee👏
It was the most "hidden" queen cell I have ever seen, I had to really search for it . We get so used to seeing them in clean wax don't we, and whilst I know they build them down the sides very frequently I think I might have missed that one initially.

It was the most "hidden" queen cell I have ever seen, I had to really search for it . We get so used to seeing them in clean wax don't we, and whilst I know they build them down the sides very frequently I think I might have missed that one initially.
My eyes zoomed around the outer edges, up and down the sides.
I continually missed it.
There were few bees but yet it still eluded me and driving me daft.
Murox like yourself, I was looking for clean wax, but there you go, something unexpected and learned as a result.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back