Hi from tamworth staffs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi all, I'm Matt. I've been interested in bees for many years my grandad always wanted to keep bees but he never did so I thought I'd go on a course ran by Brian Goodwin from the Shropshire bee keepers association, he was an excellent tutor and I would urge anyone interested to go to one of his courses.

I work in Birmingham as a gardener and with some of the bad weather this week I seized the free time to buy a sheet of plywood and follow the plans I printed from David cushmans site out of the sheet i managed to make 2x national brood boxes and 6x supers. I've finished the hives with a coat of teak oil and will give them another coat in a few days.

When I get settled in I'll post some photographs of the hives

Welcome,
And well done with the hives!

New Hives

Hi I have just finished making my hives, now making the Brood and supper Frames, Photos Attached if I have done it right? Peter

Peterxix - what are your hives standing on? It looks like some sort of polycarbonate.

Hive Stands

Peterxix - what are your hives standing on? It looks like some sort of polycarbonate.

Hi yes it is a type of Polycarbonate, they are interlocking they are the ones that you see in marques on the ground when the ground is wet and soggy , Hope that helps,

Just out of interest what size was the ply sheeting?
did you just use butt joints.

Oh and welcome :)

It does help.

Any idea where they can be bought, cheaply?

Hi all, I'm Matt. I've been interested in bees for many years my grandad always wanted to keep bees but he never did so I thought I'd go on a course ran by Brian Goodwin from the Shropshire bee keepers association, he was an excellent tutor and I would urge anyone interested to go to one of his courses.

I work in Birmingham as a gardener and with some of the bad weather this week I seized the free time to buy a sheet of plywood and follow the plans I printed from David cushmans site out of the sheet i managed to make 2x national brood boxes and 6x supers. I've finished the hives with a coat of teak oil and will give them another coat in a few days.

When I get settled in I'll post some photographs of the hives

:welcome: , you seem to have done a bit of homework before getting started something we can all learn from.

Does Dave C. sitr give cutting plan to get 2 complete hives from a single 8x4 sheet?

:welcome: , you seem to have done a bit of homework before getting started something we can all learn from.

Does Dave C. sitr give cutting plan to get 2 complete hives from a single 8x4 sheet?

Homework is always good, I've been looking at a couple of top bar hives but I don't really want lots of different hive types but they do look very good. My plan is to keep a couple of hives for myself for a year or two before looking to site some hives with local farmers and in some local orchards. I was thinking that a top bar hive may be better in an orchard however I'm sure the more experienced keepers will have suggestions.

:Does Dave C. sitr give cutting plan to get 2 complete hives from a single 8x4 sheet?

Sorry I think I may have missed your question, Dave cushmans site gives all the measurements and diagrams of the different parts and how they are assembled, I found it most helpful. I printed off the parts that I was going to build and laminated them so when I was in t he workshop they didn't get torn, Stained and ruined.

Back