Hi from a really excited newb.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22881

Just in it for the 🐝 init.
Reaction score
Hi all.
I only set my first hive up on Sunday and 6 days later I have a hive full of bees.:p
Being stood in amongst all those bees with just a t-shirt on and absolutely no fear of being stung was the most incredible, humbling experience. I’ve never even seen a swarm before.
(I hope the vid works)

You got lucky ... to have a swarm move straight into a new hive, doesn't always happen. What frames/foundation have you got in there for them to work with ? Swarms are always exciting - even when you've seen it before it's a part of nature that leaves you full of wonderment.

Swarms are very safe, the swarming bees are full of honey so it is difficult for them to sting and thety are concerned more with setting up their new home so it's a time when you can feel safe without a suit and veil ... but I'd make sure you are well protected once you start inspecting them.

Have you done a course or been alongside another keeper ? The learning curve is steep and it starts now ...

Welcome to the forum ... there's always people on hand for advice when things get confusing - ask away in the beginners section.

An experience you’ll never forget, which will have infected you with bee fever. You’ll be a hopeless case from here on 😜

Hi all.
Thank you for all your kind words.
I only got into this last week when a neighbour asked if I wanted a swarm if he could catch them. I hadn’t even considered getting a hive before that.
Im really lucky I live on the Lincolnshire Wolds and the hive and kit all come from the Thorns factory shop as they’re only a twenty minute drive away so the hive was one of there kits that come flat packed.
There’s a brood and a super in there with self spacing frames and some of my wife’s soap making Lemon Grass essential oil on a little plastic lid sitting just under the super frames.
I had interest in the hive from the day I put it out and for the last few days I had so many scouts I was starting to think I has a swarm in there already.
I did say to my wife yesterday this is the first and probably the last time I get this close without a suit on🤣

Hi all.
Thank you for all your kind words.
I only got into this last week when a neighbour asked if I wanted a swarm if he could catch them. I hadn’t even considered getting a hive before that.
Im really lucky I live on the Lincolnshire Wolds and the hive and kit all come from the Thorns factory shop as they’re only a twenty minute drive away so the hive was one of there kits that come flat packed.
There’s a brood and a super in there with self spacing frames and some of my wife’s soap making Lemon Grass essential oil on a little plastic lid sitting just under the super frames.
I had interest in the hive from the day I put it out and for the last few days I had so many scouts I was starting to think I has a swarm in there already.
I did say to my wife yesterday this is the first and probably the last time I get this close without a suit on🤣

Have the frames got foundation in them ? I'd take the super off until the colony is established (and you will need more than one super !!). If there is no foundation in the frames you are going to end up with a mass of free comb which is not going to be easy to deal with ...

Latest posts

Back