Hi - Bee's nest found...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bombus hypnorum. Later in the year the males will 'dance' in front of the nest waiting to pounce on unsuspecting females so they can look quite nerous & scary but mostly just go about their business for most of the summer. Relatively new to these shores but fast taking over sites from our native bumbles. Fascinating to watch nature in action!

Quite.

I can't do a great deal by way of moving the container they are in to be honest... I'm gong to rely on the fact the most people have said they'll be just fine if left. I'll screw down the top so it can't be opened in error! (they still have their entrance hole ;) )

I'll take a few more photo's. See what the eggs/cells look like as time goes on.

I've not seen that before- great picture, thanks.

If it is the tree bumble, it is one of the 'busier' bumble bees- they form nests of about 200-400, peanuts for honey bees, but quite a lot as bumbles go. They are quite active and will defend the nest (including stinging) if they feel threatened. Is it possible to arrange things so that their easiest exit from the shed is not directly over your table?

On the plus side they are an early season bee, and should be pretty much finished by the end of June.

Hi Simon this Bumble bee is called Bombus Agrorum It one of the moust gentle of bumble bees use a 6 inch twig to open the nest or to move if that is a necceity. Some of bumble bees will become alarmed and will turn up side down in a defensive mode (this is when they are moust daingerous) a twig can be used to l lift them individually up and be placed in jam jar for moveing. The nest can contain up to a couple of hundred bees at end of August and the begining of September. ForageFlight

Hi Simon this Bumble bee is called Bombus Agrorum It one of the moust gentle of bumble bees

If these bees have white "tails" - as in orange-black-white colouring they are NOT common carder bees but tree bumbles and will NOT be gentle if messed with. This is not good advice...

However, if they do not have white "tails"...

If these bees have white "tails" - as in orange-black-white colouring they are NOT common carder bees but tree bumbles and will NOT be gentle if messed with. This is not good advice...

However, if they do not have white "tails"...
Photo in post #6 clearly shows the three colours, including the white rear. Tree bumbles also have distinguishing antennae.

As with any creature, nest, etc leave well alone and admire unless they absolutely, positively have to be moved.

Please keep your bees. When you are near them try to avoid quick movements/hand flapping etc. and they will get on with their own business. They will be very busy bringing up all those babies.

lovely pics - I love bumble bees - enjoy

I've found one in a bird box

Hi
Was going to post a thread but thought I'd join this one. I joined to find out a bit about bees because I noticed bees going into our bird box, no birds tho! They are yellow & black with a white bottom. The bird box is on a north west facing fence tucked under the speedy growing Virginia creeper. Shall I leave it to grow over the front of the box? It will completely hide it in a few weeks!

They will find their way into it but you could keep the entrance clear if you like

They'll be fine, and the creeper might deter any predators. The bees won't be there very long, so make the most of them while you can.

Thanks, I love watching them, they can stay as long as they like:)
What time of year will they vacate the nest, as I would love to open it up once they've gone.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Thanks, I love watching them, they can stay as long as they like:)
What time of year will they vacate the nest, as I would love to open it up once they've gone.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

I'm not an expert, but a lot of species seem to finish their lifecycle surprisingly early in the year. I saw two bumblebees mating yesterday, which suggests to me that the colony/ies they came from had matured already.

Latest posts

Back