Help!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trussy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi chaps im new to the forum, Im not a beekeeper Im just looking for some advice. Iv recently discovered bees living in the corner of my house in the cavity wall, they are using a hole that was created when the gate post was fixed to the wall. Am i guessing right that they will not cause any damage the the house?, and could you help me identify them and advise me on my next course of action? should I leave them? will they die off? will they return or stay there? Iv attached some pictures.

Many thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any feedback

Mark

Attachments

• DSC_0355.jpg
    DSC_0355.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0354.jpg
    DSC_0354.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0356.jpg
    DSC_0356.jpg
    324.4 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0432.jpg
    DSC_0432.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0420.jpg
    DSC_0420.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0409.jpg
    DSC_0409.jpg
    419 KB · Views: 69
  • DSC_0368.jpg
    DSC_0368.jpg
    320.3 KB · Views: 62
Hi Trussey

Firstly they are not honey bees. I am no expert but I think they are tree bumble bees. They will not cause any damage and will disappear later in the year.

Personally I would leave them bee.

Yes they are bumbles. It's a favourite place to make a nest. Once the nest matures they will disperse but first you will see a heck of a lot more activity. Not coming and going but numbers of drones (male bees) trying to chance their luck with the emerging new queens inside. By late August they will be gone and likely the nest will never be occupied again.

Thanks Iwenlock, Id looked online and thought they matched up to the tree bee however the bright red colour on the larger one was throwing me off, do you think I should seal up the hole after they have disappeared?

Thanks again

Thanks ericA, thats great news! Ill leave them to it then, only problem is I can't leave my garden gate open as it covers the hole and they seem to get really angry and a lot more appear.

Thanks for the help its really put my mind at ease

Hi Trussy,
I would actually seal up the hole in October/November after they have died off as a cavity wall has many opportunities to build a nest in a different place.

Thanks ericA, thats great news! Ill leave them to it then, only problem is I can't leave my garden gate open as it covers the hole and they seem to get really angry and a lot more appear.

Thanks for the help its really put my mind at ease

Seal it up in early winter.
When you see the drones bobbing about in front of the nest it signals the end of the colony and no more brood rearing but the newly mated queens will still use it to overnight.

Hi chaps im new to the forum, Im not a beekeeper Im just looking for some advice. Iv recently discovered bees living in the corner of my house in the cavity wall, they are using a hole that was created when the gate post was fixed to the wall. Am i guessing right that they will not cause any damage the the house?, and could you help me identify them and advise me on my next course of action? should I leave them? will they die off? will they return or stay there? Iv attached some pictures.

Many thanks for reading and thanks in advance for any feedback

Mark

you can safely leave them. they do not excavate and their nests are small and they do not store honey like honey bees. Had a nice colony in my air bricks last year. sadly enough, none this year...

I think it only fair to warn Trussy that unlike most Bumble bees this species (Bombus hypnorum, the tree bumble) can be defensive if the nest is disturbed

I think it only fair to warn Trussy that unlike most Bumble bees this species (Bombus hypnorum, the tree bumble) can be defensive if the nest is disturbed

Indeed… they are pretty cool as they show lots of activity, but yes, my experience is they are a more defensive breed of bumble… especially if they suffer nest vibrations… so at least they are in a solid stone wall!

But pretty cool to have them (a reasonably recent bee to our shores)… I put up a load of bird boxes to hopefully tempt a nest or two… no luck so far… saw a scouting queen earlier in the season, but clearly not impressed. And there was no chain or anything! Maybe her sale fell through.

I've got a Bumble nesting using a cavity insulation drill hole that they forgot to cap when they put the insulation in. Its in my porch and it will have priority over all visitors until Oct when I'll seal the hole.

Last year it was the compost bin. Cant wait for next year.....

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate the replies, Im growing quite fond of them now, be sad to see them go!

Yes they are bumbles. It's a favourite place to make a nest. Once the nest matures they will disperse but first you will see a heck of a lot more activity. Not coming and going but numbers of drones (male bees) trying to chance their luck with the emerging new queens inside. By late August they will be gone and likely the nest will never be occupied again.

They may well nest again in the sme spot, not necessarily the same nest.
Invasive species, so not as important as native species.

Latest posts

Back