Help with bees in brickwork

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mado

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi,

I'm not a beekeeper (but was thinking about it so maybe one day), but we have noticed some bees coming in and out of holes in the brickwork of our house. It is an old cottage.
We were (still are) planning to sort out the brickwork this year, but obviously it will be difficult with the bees.

Is it feasible to remove bees safely from brickwork?
Who should we approach to do so? (we are in Bucks)
If not, what is our best course of action?

Many thanks for your help.

Not being condescending, but are you sure they're honey bees? they may be masonry bees and perfectly harmless where they are.
If they are honey bees you could ask someone try a trap-out (I'm trying one myself now (bees behind a gravestone in a listed chapel wall) http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=8543&page=416
it takes time but is feasible (I'm hoping mine works) - contact your local beekeeping association -you should find a list on the BBKA website (ooh hush my mouth i mentioned the BBKA word!:))

I have no idea what type of bees they are... just that I don't want to take the chance to kill good bees. But they can't stay there.

I'll try the BBKA, thanks.

One of my apiaries is in the garden of an old lady who has a huge number of masonry bees in the mortar of the roof tiles on an old cottage ...... each year for about 3-4 weeks it looks like there is hundreds at a time on her roof and then it goes quiet again....

It started last Sunday for this year so there is a high probability, I would guess, that they are not honey bees. If so, then you only need wait a couple of months and no problem.

Latest posts

Back