Help needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graemeb

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi help needed,
I carried out an artificial swarm last Thursday and thought everything had gone well. I went back to check today and found I had placed the original hive with queen in the original position but facing 180 degrees out. I found lots of dead bees under the hive and also under the OMF. I have now rotated it to face the correct way and I'm not sure if I've done the right thing. So any help would be appreciated,

Graeme

Hi help needed,
I carried out an artificial swarm last Thursday and thought everything had gone well. I went back to check today and found I had placed the original hive with queen in the original position but facing 180 degrees out. I found lots of dead bees under the hive and also under the OMF. I have now rotated it to face the correct way and I'm not sure if I've done the right thing. So any help would be appreciated,

Graeme

After five days facing the other way you have now confused the bees yet again. :(
What was your plan in turning the hive on Thursday?
Hint look up the Pagden method of swarm control.

Last edited:
Sounds like it was a mistake, I would be tempted to turn it to the half way mark, ie 90 degrees. That way they should find the entrance hopefully. Block any possible way of flying underneath the hive otherwise they will just congregate on the omf
E

Hi Enrico,
thanks for the advice I think I'll try that. It was a total mistake in turning the hive 180 degrees.

Graeme

That was weird, these last two posts came up on another thread I was reading..... They are now back where they should be....computers!

Generally turning 45 degrees at a time is the best advice. But 'needs must' when the mistake has already been made. Returning bees (caught outside in bad weather?) and making enough bulk to cause a small cluster seems it may have resulted in the dead bees. What has the weather been like recently?

Latest posts

Back