Help moving our hive in southend

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollyBee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
We currently have our bees in my mothers garden down in rochford however she has sold her house and is moving next week. We have also sold our flat in London and moving down to southend next week and can take our bees.

We don't know the local association and haven't had to move established bees before so are at a bit of a loss of how to go about it.

Is there anyone who can help or offer advise about doing this as safely (for us and the bees) as possible?

It's not that hard. Hopefully you are on OMF and hae no gaping holes in the crownboard do you have any supers on? do you still have only one hive.
In a nutcase the day before strap your hive together with ratchet straps fore and aft and athwart. Then last thing in the evening or early in the morning (when the bees aren't flying) block up the entrance securely and lift the hive into your vehicle - make sure the frames are oriented fore and aft in the car and get them there as quickly (but safely) as possible. It's not that far and it's not excessively hot at the moment so you shouldn't really need a travel screen (as long as you have OMF) nor should you need to spray them with water on the trip. When you get there, pu the hive in the new position, open the entrance and stay away for a while.

Thank you, yes we are on omf and still the one hive. Think I am most worried about blocking it up securely at the moment so I don't end up with a car full of bees

Thank you, yes we are on omf and still the one hive. Think I am most worried about blocking it up securely at the moment so I don't end up with a car full of bees

Bit of foam stuffed in the entrance and the whole lot taped up with duct tape is my advice.

:iagree: its always worked for me when I've moved bees

Think I am most worried about blocking it up securely at the moment so I don't end up with a car full of bees

If you're really worried that a piece of foam and gaffer tape isn't secure enough you could wrap the whole thing in an old net curtain. That way any bees determined enough to fight their way through the entrance will be kept away from you.

day before strap your hive together with ratchet straps fore and aft and athwart
Just in case it's needed at some point in the future, a quick translation for non-mariners ;) - two ratchet straps at 90 degrees to each other, one front to back, and one running across/around the hive parallel to the entrance. It's to stop anything shifting during transit, and leaving a handy escape hole between brood box and floor.

I've also put both ratchet straps in the same direction, as found doing them alternative ways, can allow boxes to "SPIN" opening up corners if not tight enough,

if you need a hand lugging them I'll always pop down to help out, and into the new location, is your new garden more than 3 miles from your mothers??

have foam and straps if you dont want to buy for this one trip, although they always come in handy

Three straps at mi imum for security. A pair towards each edge and the other central at right angles will prevent any 'spinning'. Simple as that.

I worried about foam, use an entrace block with a couple bits of wood fixed across to prevent it goi g into the hive more than flush. Duct tape, at least once around the whole box and entrance block, will keep it secure if the straps would not.

Iif on hoffman frames, orientation of thd box while in the car should not be a problem. Placing brood frames fore to aft is for those with spacer frames mainly.

RAB

Thank you rat catcher, if you are around it. I get be nice to have some support for our first time. I have ordered the straps last night so that should be fine.

According to google maps our new address is 3 miles as the crow flies :/ hopefully far enough away

Not sure what happened to my English. If you are around it might be nice to have some support that should say

If you drive in your beesuit you can be certain no one is going to stop you en route :)
I've moved hives without problems using a couple of lengths of baler twine and a drivers hitch plus a piece of floor mesh screwed over the entrance. Driving S-m-o-o-t-h-l-y using common sense helps of course and your omf must be exposed to air not sitting tight down to a flat surface.
Unlike most of beekeeping it's not rocket science ;)

Wear your bee suit and have your veil handy. If some prat runs into you and, god forbid, you can't get out of the car, you don't want to be at the mercy of the bees! Don't forget collisions happen to us all and often are not our fault!
E

I screw a bit of ply across the entrance...
You might have to move a bit quick when you remove it tho, unless you remove one screw and pivet the wood on the other screw. That way you can do it with a long stick, although they dont always seem to burst out..

Ha ha ha ....I remember when we went to get our full colony from Paynes.....we live in South Glamorgan so went up the day before...with the intention of visiting their shop for any other goodies. The next morning we pitched up early. The polyhive was ready with some wire mesh taped over it and foam plus tape over the entrance...a hive strap holding all together.
Off we went...taking the motorway instead of the scenic route....the M25 ground to a halt...so we made a diversion to keep moving...it was a hot and sunny day. The air conditioning going full blast. Finally got back onto the M4....phew a relief from the winding roads. Congratulating ourselves for our quick thinking, we drove on.....bzzzz.........bzzzzzz....a few bees had got out, but how? The Severn bridge hove into sight......only an hour now....bzzzz......bzzzzz.......quickly paid the toll and got the windows back up!..after all, these bees had cost a fortune and we weren't going to lose any in Wiltshire!.......bzzzzz......bzzzzz.....the buzzing grew louder and louder as more and more bees escaped from the hive....by this time probably about 50 were out....this slowly increased. Interestingly, although they were escaping in ever increasing numbers....they just walked on the windscreen and doors and steering wheel...much to my OH concern! We daren't move for fear of squashing some. By the time we rolled up at our house about a 100 bees were taking up residence in the car. We carried the hive to our apiary in the garden...a few bees followed but most stayed in the car. We spent the next half hour catching them and taking them to the hive. Eventually, the car was clear of bees but we had to close it up as a few just didn't want to leave this very spacious 'New' hive!

If you are able to move them late in the day imeadiatley after blocking them in then when you arrive set them down in the new spot (best to get this right first time), leave them 10 minutes whilst gently removing straps and then unblock entrance. Hardly a bee will come out as its late and cool, maybe even dark.

I use only 2 straps plus coppered mild steel staples from T"s - not on their online catalogue but p20 of their current paper cat. Have worked well for me over 40 years.

I live in London and have a van. Just pm me if needed

The Severn bridge hove into sight......only an hour now....bzzzz......bzzzzz.......quickly paid the toll and got the windows back up!..after all, these bees had cost a fortune and we weren't going to lose any in Wiltshire!

Is the Severn bridge in Wiltshire?

Well it's not in Wales as you drive quite a long way to the welsh welcome sign.....it's in Gloucestershire....apparently.......but the bees were beginning to get out whilst driving through Wiltshire. Must have been a penny per bee......look after your pennies and the pounds will look after themselves!
Good luck with your move....

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back