Help appreciated please !!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prittstick

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Ok here is the question...Today we tried and failed miserably to collect up a massive hive of bees that had remained untouched in an old hive for the last 15 plus years , the hive was almost rotten and the frames could not be removed as they were brittle and the comb was at diagonals!The hive and its one super ( without queen excluder were FULL FULL FULL , so full infact that lifting the whole thing was not a possibility , as it was soooo heavy and the wood rotten.

What can we do to collect them up safely! We dont really want to bring them home with the hive in its current state.And boy did they get angry!

Any help, hints and tips very much appreciated.

Tim and Lis

Can you put a brood box on top with foundation? If the hive is that seriously rotten on possibly some sort of support frame?

The bees will get to work on it and the queen will go up to lay, then slip in an excluder and you will gradually get the rest out of the below combs as the brood hatches and the interest switches to what is going on above.

PH

Poly thanks...That sounds like a good plan and one I think we will try.I think the old hive will support a new brood box on top.

Many sincere thanks.:)

Not my plan just a common approach to a common problem.

Main advantage is no messy cutting of combs, lets the bees do the work and works with them to achieve what they want, ie nice new home and better organisation. ;)

KISS

PH

The old frames would have rotted through and the bees would have built wild comb at the angle they want to build it at. This wild comb would be stuck to the crownboard so that it collapses when you try to lift it.

Anyone else might know what they are dealing with and leave them be.

Thanks, I will let you know how it goes...I,m staying away for a few days though cos boy were they angry! ;-)

If you manage to retrieve this colony in the manner that you plan too and they are a "hot hive" you may want to start thinking in terms of requeening as soon as possible.

Personaly i wouldnt bother if they are that bad. The bees are always nicer on the other side of the fence :D

Do nothing . Certainly do not requeen - you have bees that are strong after 15 years with no "treatment" ? Could be the genetic holy grail! Patience and a seige mentality will be key. Think and plan before you "do" They will not appreciate the nice clean accommodation you give them. Got to start the days slov now but will post again tonight

You need to start a blog?

Regards

FB

Thanks to all for your help and advice...Much appreciated. We too think that after 15 years ( and it could be more!) to have such a strong colony is a chance not to be missed if possible with no harm done.. We will keep you informed ( possibly through a blog if I can sort that out! Cheers...P

On the "genetic holy grail" - just remember that while the hive may have been in use for 15 years...it may not be the same colony. If a big swarm had taken up residence in mid April this year...they would be a "big colony" by now. If it really has been in continuous use by the same colony...that would be interesting.

Sticking a box on top and letting them get on with it is certainly the path of least resistance.

There is also the 'John Harding Honey bee vibration' factor which may be relevant - the position of the hive.

Goggle the above; it's now on the 'net.

Any good at dowsing?

Regards, RAB

Rae

Point taken. To expand/clarify on my earlier post.

I use my commute tram journey to tune into The forum. This morning whilst attempting to construct a "corporal jones - dont panic" response to this great thread (on an iphone -not the easiest task for fat fingered fred trust me) i had the proverbial chap who had eaten all the pies AND the cakes sit next to me, occupying all of his seat and most of mine. Pinned against the window i was attempting to edit my message when my stop arrived!!!!

It should have read "Do nothing rash...."

Prittstick

Plenty of thinking and preparation required. I did the same exercise a few years back with a compost bin colony . You will need patience and a seige mentality. I hope that you are not under any time constraints to remove them??

When i get home i"ll post a few pikkies of my solution/experience.

Regards

FB

We have recently re-hived a cross combed hive in the way poly suggests.
We put a new brood box above an old brood box without a queen excluder and waited until the queen was laying in the new top box. We then switched the boxes over putting the old box, still full of brood, onto the top with a queen excluder between. We took the old brood box off after 3 weeks when the brood had hatched. The only uncertain part was if we would get the queen to move up to the new box.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back