help 2 days to fix 2 swarms that want to swarm again!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkermel

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ok I know I should be able to figure this out, however currently in melt down with work and prepping to go away for 2 weeks hols. - Yes I know not the best time but was only time available! I have issue with two colonies that are recent swarms, one is my own swarm and the other is a swarm collected with unmarked queen.

my swarm has is a 3 year old queen, swarmed 2nd week in may and until today was on 2 supers I have just put third one on as 2nd was well drawn and nearly 3/4 full On inspection today I have 3 queen cells neatly hanging from the top of the frame charged and looking far too good!

second swarm is of a unknown age and is also drawing queen cells although eggs in some there was no royal jelly visable. I had also prepared super for that as the outside frames were just being started on, this swarm was collected 3rd week in may

Whats my best plan of action, I have 2 days before I go away - don't think husband will approve of the not going on holiday idea! I have bait boxes I can rig up but that is obviously hit and miss. don't want more colonies but if that is the best option then I guess it will have to be and artificial swarm

HELP MY HEAD IS SPINNING!!!

If it were me, I would AS them.
However, for the three year old queen, you could do the treasonable thing and dispose of her, and let her subjects finish creating her heir whilst you are away.

Rain is forecast, so you could knock them down and grit your teeth. Personally I prefer the safe option.

If the colony already swarmed last month, is headed by a 3 year old, and has only made three cells at the top of the frame, I think it's more likely they are planning supersedure rather than swarming.

I'd be inclined to leave them to it.

Thankyou pete, you have managed to make me smile, I was wondering about being cruel. did it on a colony with chalk brood last week and felt so bad, but she was rather mature and colony getting worse not better with chalk brood so united it with another good colony, will have to go back to my books to remember how to do an artificial swarm again! its been a couple of years since I had to do one!

I am so glad that everyone is coming up with the same suggestions I thought, just didn't know which was right. If they superseed, will she not swarm off again like she did last time, or shall I do as suggested and kill her off? This is where I have always been a bit grey.

If the colony already swarmed last month, is headed by a 3 year old, and has only made three cells at the top of the frame, I think it's more likely they are planning supersedure rather than swarming.

I'd be inclined to leave them to it.

I agree with you but but....Impossible to know what bees get into mind

I would do AS however. YOu get a new queen brood hive when you join them later.

Last edited:
Finman has hit the nail on the head. As long as one pert of the hive has a nice queen you can sort it all out on your return!
E

finman, I know sometimes the bees don't read the manuals - cant say I blame them too much for that - but I did tell them I was going away then they go and do this to me!! its just plain inconsiderate lol!

Take them with you in your suitcase! Customs should be fun!
E

Latest posts

Back