Hello

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hello, This is my first visit to the forum and I would like to start beekeeping again after a lapse of about 40 years and being a bit of a traditionalist I prefer WBC hives.I have managed to obtain a couple of hives which I am in the process of renovating and would like to start with bees next Spring.
I live in the village of Warton, near Carnforth ,Lancashire,and wondered if there was anybody in the area who would be willing to assist me in any way.
Amongst many other things I am uncertain how to fit a varroa screen into the floor of the hive to leave the floor open.
I am aware that times have changed since I last kept bees and I think I have probably forgotten much of the relevant information.
My sister has sent me a copy of the Ted Hooper book which I have started to read,but if anyone could give me any assistance I would be very grateful.
Here's hoping,
Peter.

Welcome

Hello, This is my first visit to the forum and I would like to start beekeeping again after a lapse of about 40 years and being a bit of a traditionalist I prefer WBC hives.I have managed to obtain a couple of hives which I am in the process of renovating and would like to start with bees next Spring.
I live in the village of Warton, near Carnforth ,Lancashire,and wondered if there was anybody in the area who would be willing to assist me in any way.
Amongst many other things I am uncertain how to fit a varroa screen into the floor of the hive to leave the floor open.
I am aware that times have changed since I last kept bees and I think I have probably forgotten much of the relevant information.
My sister has sent me a copy of the Ted Hooper book which I have started to read,but if anyone could give me any assistance I would be very grateful.
Here's hoping,
Peter.

Welcome to a really useful site (can be funny too!)+bolshie+pompous+condesending+++++++but still good.
Regards
TBRNoTB:driving:

Bit of a traditionalist!! Thats an understatement.
Now you all be nice to this chap - he's my brother....logging on here is a success.:party:
But if you want to know about flat coat retrievers- he's the man.
Just wish I lived nearer to give him a hand - so relying on you Northern beeks.

Hi Peter
40 years as though it was yesterday most of it will come fluding back but unfortunately the dreaded varroa mite will be new for you to deal with.
If you just want a mesh floor then out with the saw and cut a hole to the right size and then fit the mesh a tray fitted under will require a bit more scratching of the head and working out but not rocket science.
Unfortunately the wrong end of the country to help but a good many years ago not far over the county boarder.
Good look

Hi Peter,
I had 2 second-hand WBCs too - we simply cut a hole in the floor, leaving a lip around the legs - then bought 2 sheets of mesh and tried gluing them in...DOESN'T WORK!! Try either industrial staples or as I read on here today (wish I'd seen it earlier) use drawing pins so that it can be removed to be cleaned...

You do remember how heavy WBCs are and how hard they are for a beek's back don't you?? We've been using them since June, but are changing to Nationals and Polys next season to save our backs!!

Good Luck!

Hello & welcome Peter

I suggest you join Lancaster BKA - very friendly group.
There are several members in Warton and you are located not too far from the club apiary.

Click on the website for further details.

Latest posts

Back